• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could Not Save Because...file already in use or was left open by another application error message

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI. I'm getting very annoyed by this error message I'm getting it too often. This happens about 50 of the time I'm trying to save a PS file as  a PDF, and it's wasting so much time. Plenty of room on the disk, plenty of memory, yet if I don't do anything for a few minutes, it will save fine. This happens w/ Save and Save As. Windows 10 user. Frustrated.

Help, please!

Message was edited by: Evlin During

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to a local hard drive, external drive or network?

I'd also check the properties of the file to make sure it is not read only (check in File Explorer - right click on the file and go to Properties).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't have the file

open in another application it could be that somebody else on the same network has it open? Or it could be a file permissions issue? Have you checked the File permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An extremely annoying bug, has nothing to do with another application, the error appears out of nowhere, can't believe in 2017 photoshop has such serious bugs.

Anyway I've solved it by closing all my open pictures and turning all my open directories into thumbnails, I believe the pictures that are open on windows are the problem, why it has to do with photoshop? no clue.
I use windows 10 with photoshop cc 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save the file to a pdf, do you have an existing pdf that you are saving over? If so, that could be your issue. If the file is open when saving to a pdf, it can't write over the existing file and you will get an error. Make sure the files are closed, and let us know if you are still having  issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue, I have Adobe Pro and trying to add comments but keeps on throwing me out. It's on my own personal network so no one else is using it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem on two high-end Win 10 Pro workstations running CC 2019. I create a new PS file on the local drive. Edit it. Try to save it. I get this error about 50% of the time. "Could not save "filename" because the file is already in use or was left open by another application." If I keep hitting ctl-s (10 times or more) it may eventually save or I do Save As (this sometimes works). Or I have to save to a different name. Terrifically annoying.

The only application that has a lock on this file is PS! This has nothing to do with networks, other users, storage paths, folder formats or icons or any other nonsense. It is a PS bug and has been there for the last several updates. You cannot fix your machine or your installation! It is a bug that Adobe needs to fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also using a Win 10 high end machine, i7-8700 with lots of drives for storage. I'm not seeing this problem at all.

In the Adobe Creative Cloud app, you will find a place where you can install earlier versions of PS. Install 2018 and see if the problem persists.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks KR. This is a new machine with a clean install of CC 2019. It

should work 'out of the box.' I have work to do. I can't keep screwing

around with this stuff every other day. Rolling back workflows is not

trivial. I am not paid to be an alpha or beta tester. Adobe needs to

take responsibility for QA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see how you would have to roll back "workflows". Just reinstall the previous version. I think your workflow would be the same unless you absolutely have to have some of the new features in 2019.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines