Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

centre text

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

How do I centre text over an image in Photoshop? Bascially I have an image, and I want to place a big capital letter in the center of the image so the spacing is all balanced.

How do I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

A text layer is a layer.  Do a select all and use menu Layer>Align layer to selection>Center vertical  and menu Layer>Align layer to selection>Center horizontal toe align the text layer centered over the canvas or centered over any selection you make.

Using Align to selection you can align thing to  nine coordinates like a tick tack toe board.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A text layer is a layer.  Do a select all and use menu Layer>Align layer to selection>Center vertical  and menu Layer>Align layer to selection>Center horizontal toe align the text layer centered over the canvas or centered over any selection you make.

Using Align to selection you can align thing to  nine coordinates like a tick tack toe board.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a single layer you need to sellect the entire image (Ctrl A).  Then select the move tool and click on the relevent icons.  A capital letter will centre vertically, but lower case letters can complicate things with decenders etc.

What I have done below is drag out some guides which snapped to the centre of the page, and dragged out the grid zero to the guide intersection, so we can see where the capital H has ended up after centering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is Photoshop other UI interface to align layers to selection.  Those ICON you can align layers to  9 locations.  You can align to any selection and you can align more that a single layer. Here I target three layes and show aligning them to different selections.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Selections are very useful. Alpha channels, layer mask are selections. Here Alpha channels were used as selections to aling image resize image position image and mask images and align added filename text layers.  It took a few clicks.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

Could you walk me through step by step on how to add a new text layer. Mine won't centre properly. I think I need to go back a few steps. My text box doesn't seem to be aligning with my image. I clicked CMD+A (select all) then hit the centre buttons you highlighted, but it's not working.

See screen shot below:

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 2.27.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another screen shot. The E is not in the centre of the page when I highlight the text. I think you may have to walk me through step by step.

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 2.33.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.jpg

Ctrl+A Select all

V switch to the move tool

Click Center Horizontal Center Icon and Vertical center icon.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jozo10  wrote

Here is another screen shot. The E is not in the centre of the page when I highlight the text. I think you may have to walk me through step by step.

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 2.33.35 PM.png

You are looking at the space that would ocupied by a decender, as would be the case with a lower case 'y', but with just the capital letter E, Photoshop ignore the desender when it comes to centering.

The full white area below shows the canvas size, and the grey is the highlighted area when selecting the capital E.

At the moment, none of the aligh tools are available (they are greyed out) because with just the single text layer selected, Photoshop does not have a reference to move the letter to. 

So we need to give it that reference by selecting the entire canvas with Cmd a.  Now you can see the marching ants, and the single layer alignment tools have become available.

...and clicking on the centre verticle and centre horizontal tools places the E centre of the image.

Selecting the Type layer still shows the space that would have been taken by a desender, but that is not relevant.

Is that clear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alignment is relative to the layers bounds the layer actual pixels rectangular bounds.  Not relative to where text may be.  The actual pixels rendered for the layer actual text.

Here a script set guide lines on the layer bounds and across its horizontal  and verticals centers and spells out its location relative to the canvas and notes the width and height of the layer bounds.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines