Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AS3 How to Random image?

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I want to create a random logo button from several movie clip. How to start it?

I've already create some movie clip with a logo on it with name : mc_1, mc_2, etc. It will be 32 or 35 logos.

the rules:

1. only 1 logo come out, and changed after another click.

2. same logo might appear again

I've browse some tips in this forum with different method like:

1. this.addchild (i don't understand how it is work)

2. using gotoAndPlay with random frame (I know the mechanism, but didn't understand how to create the random number)

3. another tips?

Thanks in advance!

This is the example.

2017-09-24.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

The reason why you get the error is because the loadImage function is missing the "e : MouseEvent" paramter. So your loadImage function didn't expect any arguments passed to it, but it got 1 from the mouse event.

So I would recommend creating a function called loadImageButton, that's used for the mouse event, and make that function call the loadImage function.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add a symbol from the library it first needs a linkage, you can add that from the library panel if you double click below where it says linkage. If the linkage is Logo:

// Automatically gets added when declaring a variable with the type MovieClip

import flash.display.MovieClip;

// Variables for the logo position

var logoPositionX : int = 100;

var logoPositionY : int = 100;

// Create a new Logo instance from the Library and store it

var logo : MovieClip = new Logo();

// The number of logos

var logos : int = 8;

// Add it to the stage

stage.addChild(logo);

// Change it's position

logo.x = logoPositionX;

logo.y = logoPositionY;

// Function for randomly picking a logo

function RandomLogo () {

// Math.random() returns a value between 0 and 1 which is then multiplied by the number of logos, lastly it's stored as a whole number

var random : int = Math.random() * logos;

// Go to and stop on the randomly selected frame, 1 is added since frame numbers starts with 1 in Actionscript

logo.gotoAndStop(random + 1);

}

// Run the function

RandomLogo();

If you're going to change frames inside a symbol, you could just use a symbol that's already placed on the stage, I just thought I would include an example for adding a symbol from the library.

You can see more things you can do with the math class here: Math - Adobe ActionScript® 3 (AS3 ) API Reference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the help. I will try your after this one. Before read your answer. I've tried this code. But, doesn't work perfectly (or maybe you could help to find the problem)

This is the script I've found. It works, but when I've add a button to generate the random / regenerate, the script is error.

If I deleted the button, without addEventListener Mouse Click, it works perfectly. But it is not good if I have to re-open my SWF file everytime I want to regenerate the logo. This one only needs frame.

Here is the code :

import flash.display.Bitmap;

import flash.events.Event;

import flash.net.URLRequest;

import flash.display.Loader;

var imgRequest:URLRequest;

var randCount:int = 31*Math.random();

btn_random.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,loadImage);

function loadImage():void

{

for(var i:int = 1; i<randCount; i++)

{

var imgLoader:Loader = new Loader();

imgRequest = new URLRequest();

imgRequest.url = "img/img" + int(31*Math.random()) +".jpg";

trace(imgRequest.url);

imgLoader.load(imgRequest);

imgLoader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(IOErrorEvent.IO_ERROR, unloadedImg);

imgLoader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, onLoadedImg);

}

}

function onLoadedImg(e:Event):void

{

e.currentTarget.removeEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, onLoadedImg);

var bmp:Bitmap = e.currentTarget.content;

bmp.x = 534

bmp.y = 418

bmp.width = 500;

bmp.height = 500;

this.addChild(bmp);

}

function unloadedImg(e:IOErrorEvent):void

{

e.currentTarget.removeEventListener(IOErrorEvent.IO_ERROR, unloadedImg);

trace("load Failed:" + e);

}

loadImage();

The error code (after I've added random generate logo) :

img/img21.jpg

img/img18.jpg

img/img28.jpg

img/img1.jpg

img/img28.jpg

img/img21.jpg

img/img7.jpg

ArgumentError: Error #1063: Argument count mismatch on random_fla::MainTimeline/loadImage(). Expected 0, got 1.

Thanks a lot, mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you trying to load images at runtime? Just import them into the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, I'm a beginner.

After I import the images to the library, then what?

which part of my script I need to change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason why you get the error is because the loadImage function is missing the "e : MouseEvent" paramter. So your loadImage function didn't expect any arguments passed to it, but it got 1 from the mouse event.

So I would recommend creating a function called loadImageButton, that's used for the mouse event, and make that function call the loadImage function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow it is running well know as I want!
Thanks mate!

Thanks a lot RandomlyFish and ClayUUID​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RandomlyFish  wrote

You just helped him do it the wrong way. Now there will be a delay every time each image is loaded for the first time, instead of having it appear instantly as a preloaded image would.

Vincent, the easiest, most correct way to do this (assuming there is no business need for the logos to be external files), is to load every logo into Animate, create a movieclip, and put each logo in its own frame of the movieclip. Then you can display logos by just telling the movieclip to go to a specific frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original code suggested using keyframes, but it's ultimately up to them how they want to implement it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RandomlyFish  wrote

My original code suggested using keyframes, but it's ultimately up to them how they want to implement it.

True and true. But newbie coders have a really bad habit of latching onto the first thing that resembles a solution to their problem and developing a severe case of tunnel vision towards making it work. This is how bad code, and bad coders, flourish in the world. It's the responsibility of more experienced developers on help forums to not just help people make their code work, but also to guide them to more appropriate solutions. Aiding and abetting a bad solution just does long-term damage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a delay like 0.5 - 1 sec. But at least, it is work.
I will try your script after this, for a better loading time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can quickly add multiple images to different keyframes if you select all the images in the library and drop them on the stage. Then with them selected, you can right click on them and select distribute to keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines