• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat professional 8 - repetitive error message re missing plug-in and now printing blank pages

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 loaded onto a Windows 7 (64) computer. it was working fine until earlier this year, when I started getting first a Windows alert did I want to allow this program, then an Adobe error message: "Acrobat PDF Browser Plus-in is missing. Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader to fix this problem." There have been no updates, plus I think I did try to re=install, but not sure since this is "professional."

Anyway, recently having problems with my HP printer and had to reinstall that software..... Now, I can print from Adobe acrobat professional, Microsoft Word and internet and Gmail on Chrome, but when I try to print from Acrobat prof from IE10, I get an Adoble error message "unable to start print job. Is Printer available?" When I hit YES, printer prints a blank page.

HELP and THANX!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Using the new version of Reader you'll be able to use a commenting tool

that will allow you to add text to all (non-secured) PDF files.

And yes, you should remove the old version of Acrobat before installing the

new Reader.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 7:13 PM, marilyns22705587 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional notes: I don't get the error messages when opening a PDF in Chrome, just in IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat 8 is very old and not compatible with Windows 7. Problems with it

are to be expected.

On Sep 25, 2017 2:06 AM, "marilyns22705587" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. What would you suggest I replace it with? I'm confused between available versions of Acrobat and Reader - what's the difference between Acrobat and Reader and what's for free? This is for primarily home use, with opening documents sent to me or forms downloaded; not to create forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader is free. Acrobat is not. For what you described Reader should be enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you again.. Some of the forms sent to me can use "typewriter;" some not.

Should I uninstall acrobat professional, then download Reader? or just use Chrome with what I have now, since Chrome doesn't give me the error message and IE just prints a blank page (although used to at least print before I transferred some files from old Vista computer to my Win 7 one. (NOt HP, though).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the new version of Reader you'll be able to use a commenting tool

that will allow you to add text to all (non-secured) PDF files.

And yes, you should remove the old version of Acrobat before installing the

new Reader.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 7:13 PM, marilyns22705587 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried to uninstall Adobe Professional 8 on my Win 7 desktop, as you suggested. When I look in the list of programs under control panel uninstall, it lists Adobe Creative Suite 3 Master Collection and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (as well as Adobe AIR, Adobe Flash Player 26 Active X and Flash Player 26 NPAPI).

When I use the windows search button, it lists Adobe Professional 8. When I right click,The only uninstall possibility is from Webroot to "erase" it.

Which should I erase or uninstall? Is the new Reader the same as the one I have (checked - no updates available). Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reader DC is the new one.

Flash Player ActiveX is unconnected, used by Internet Explorer.

Flash Player NPAPI is used by Reader DC.

Adobe AIR is used by a bunch of things.

Creative Suite 3 is a whole bunch of Adobe apps (Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc. etc.) and includes Acrobat Pro 8. They are all or nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines