Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer style unnecessarily applied to multiple layers

Engaged ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

While I'm tinkering with blending options in Photoshop 2017.1.1., I occasionally notice changing the layer style of one layer is forcefully applied to other layers of the same type (e.g. text layers). These layers are not even duplicates of the same smart object but they seem somehow linked together...

This has been a vexing problem: I just can't figure out how to isolate the effect of layer style change in one layer!

Someone please tell me a fix for this.

Thank you,

Ead

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Is »Use Global Light« checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround - the only way to isolate the buggy layer style change was to transform the layer into a smart object so any blending options made to it is not forcefully applied to other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again: Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

In the attached screenshot, for example, whenever I change the direction of the bevel effect applied to the 'bottom text' layer gets applied to the 'top text' layer:

スクリーンショット 2017-09-26 18.20.30.png

The same happens even if I create a new text layer all over again and apply blending options to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is »Use Global Light« checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is indeed the culprit! Disabling Use Global Light in the Blending Options successfully isolated changes to one text layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YEP- Its Use Gloabl Light... you need to UNCHECK it so that it doesnt apply your chnages to ALL (i.e. Global) layers. That for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines