• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

two columns but only inserting on one side of the column

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a project for my class in which i need to insert two word files side by side, my question is is there anyway to only insert a file to the left columns of the pages rather than both the left and right side, because I would like one file to only be in the left column while the other file to be in the right column, whenever I try to place the file, it places it in both column, this is in indesign cc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

I am missing something here? I am using a variation of Winterm's approach. Set up a 2-column document and add the two frames to the left hand master. Thread them to the appropriate frames on the right hand master.

InDesign CCss_009.png

On the body pages, auto-flow the 1st story in the column 1 frame and then the 2nd story I the column two frame.

InDesign CCss_010.png

If I add more text they flow correctly, If I edit the master page frames the text reflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need two not threaded primary text frames on a Master page. On the first document page with that Master applied, manually override those text frames (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+click), place your text inside the overriden frame holding Shift key. Place accordingly - one text in the left frame, and another - in the right. New pages will be added to fit your texts.

On the pages primary text frames will respond to their master in the same way as any overridden master page item will, so you'll be able to adjust their position all at once, if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately you can only have one primary text flow per document (one Primary Text Frame per Master Page) but that takes care of half your problem. Create a Master Page where the left text frame is a one column Primary Text Frame and the right text frame is a normal one. Then on the first document page flow in the text for the left column (the Primary Master one) and making sure that in InDesign preferences that Smart Text Reflow is set to end of story flow in the text. As many pages as are necessary will be created to accommodate the text. Then in the Pages Panel select all of the pages in the document and in the Pages Panel pull down menu choose "Override All Master Page Items." Then as highlighted in the screen shot below with the regular selection tool click on the text overflow port on the bottom of the first right hand text frame and the on the top port of the right hand column on the next page. Repeat this process for all of the right hand text frames. When done flow the text into the right hand columns.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.15.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am missing something here? I am using a variation of Winterm's approach. Set up a 2-column document and add the two frames to the left hand master. Thread them to the appropriate frames on the right hand master.

InDesign CCss_009.png

On the body pages, auto-flow the 1st story in the column 1 frame and then the 2nd story I the column two frame.

InDesign CCss_010.png

If I add more text they flow correctly, If I edit the master page frames the text reflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm missing something, Barb, but when I try doing it the way that you suggest the Smart Text Reflow adds different extra pages for the left column than the right one. That was what led me to the way that I suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear why, Bill. This works the way I expected it to. For clarification, I just went back and updated my screen shots to show the Pages panel. I did auto-flow the text into the primary frames with the ( ) on the loaded text cursor, if that helps.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

Actually, we share exactly the same approach, I'm just using incorrect terms.

Still need to find a reason to use 'true' Primary Text Frames (those set in Document Setup dialog box). Bill is right at this point - you can't have true multiple Primary text flows per doc, and this make 'em pretty useless to me.

What I call Primary Frames are just empty text frames drawn manually at the Master Pages and used as placeholders for text on pages. These do not have 'true Primary' limitations, while keeping full useful functionality. Exactly as shown in you nice screenshots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again, semantics. The primary frame checkbox in the New dialog box does draw one frame for us, but we can always draw our own. We needed two, so I just skipped the checkbox. Same feature—it's just who draws it—InDesign or the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still need to find a reason to use 'true' Primary Text Frames (those set in Document Setup dialog box).

Primary text frames have two advantages: when you add a new page from the master, the master's primary text frame is automatically overridden and more importantly when you have multiple master pages with primary frames and apply a new master to an existing page the text is automatically reflowed into the new primary. See #6 in this thread

Re: Can someone help demystify how primary text frames actually work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rob day  wrote

ah, I see now... just never encountered this kind of layout. However, good to know, thank you!

But again, in most cases those 'primaries' are just complicating things...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

winterm  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/rob+day   wrote

ah, I see now... just never encountered this kind of layout. However, good to know, thank you!

But again, in most cases those 'primaries' are just complicating things...

Sorry, I missed your post before I posted the longer explanation. I think primaries in this case are more of a red herring than a problem. In general they work the same as non primary master text frames, except they solve some of the problems associated with masterpage items that need to be overridden and have content added.

There is a conventional wisdom that one should never put items on the masters that need to be overridden because of the duplication problem I'm showing in #28, but in a layout that uses multiple masters they can be an important feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you again, and I agree.. in general.

And yup, this thread is turning to be a good place to get lost...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear why, Bill. This works the way I expected it to.

Barb, Bill's right there can only be one Primary Text Frame per master page. None of the frames in your capture are primary, which isn't necessarily a problem. In this case, where there will be two running text threads per page, most of the advantages of the primary text frame are lost because you will always have to deal with the master text thread that is not primary, so the OP might as well use two regular threaded frames, override and autoflow them on the pages.

The first frame of a primary text thread has an icon with an arrow:

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 8.00.02 AM.png

If I try to make the right hand thread primary, the left hand column loses its primary status:

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 8.01.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Silbert wrote:

Create a Master Page where the left text frame is a one column Primary Text Frame and the right text frame is a normal one.

What's the difference? I create two 'normal' threaded pairs (or three, or four... whatever) and have the same functionality, with the same type of text frames. Keep it simple

rob day wrote:

most of the advantages of the primary text frame are lost

Would you mind to be a bit more specific at this point? What advantages? I hope I'm missing something here and I'm eager to learn

The only difference I see so far is that you don't need to detach 'Primary Frames' from master. Well, that's not a big deal to Ctrl+Shift+click on the first frame of each thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind to be a bit more specific at this point? What advantages? I hope I'm missing something here and I'm eager to learn

If you only use a single master spread the more important feature would not be obvious.

For example here my A-Master and B-Master have regular threaded frames set in different positions

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.39.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.40.00 AM.png

Pages with the A-Master applied and some text added the overridden regular frames

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.40.45 AM.png

If I apply the B-Master to the 2-3 spread the B-master's text frames get added and the overridden A-Master's text frames remain.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.40.57 AM.png

If the two masters are using primary text frames, the application of the B-master is smart enough to replace the A-master’s primary frame with the B-master's:

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.42.05 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

girl hitting head.png

100% correct., Rob. Today's lesson—don't try to answer questions while rushing around.

I did not use primary text frames (you can see that from my original screen shots) but instead threaded frames on the master page. I would like to delete my erroneous answer about them to Winterm but that would disrupt the thread so I shall just acknowledge it and will walk slowly away and let the rest of you take care of inderjodhs96299968​

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the beginning, and my first post, the issue I saw with this came after the extra pages are added by flowing the text into the left column. The problem arose because different extra pages get added by flowing into the right column (as vinny38 showed in comment #9). My solution to this was to use a real Primary frame for the left column which would, at least theoretically, create as many extra pages as needed and then by detaching the document pages from the master to unlock them and manually threading the right column so that the right column text would flow onto the correct pages. If somebody else has another solution about how to make the second text thread automatically flow onto the same pages as the first I would welcome it. Maybe I’m just missing the obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Silbert  wrote

If somebody else has another solution about how to make the second text thread automatically flow onto the same pages as the first I would welcome it.

Like it was said before (but with so many answers, I understand you got lost ^^), hold Shift key while placing text.

manfram.jpg turns into  autoflow.jpg and you should be done!

More about flowing text options here: Thread text among frames in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I tried prior to my original post but I still keep coming up with a different set of pages added for the second (right column) text thread (as you showed in your animation in reply #9).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like it was said before (but with so many answers, I understand you got lost ^^), hold Shift key while placing text.

I think Bill might have Smart Text Reflow on. That can cause this to happen when the second column text is autoflowed:

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.29.00 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had it on because my theory was to use a Primary frame to do half the job and manually thread the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had it on because my theory was to use a Primary frame to do half the job and manually thread the other.

You don't have to manually thread. Even when Smart Text Flow is turned off holding down the Shift key to autoflow text into non-primary master frames will automatically add pages as needed. My #20 is showing that happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just doing that to make absolutely sure that the text flowed to the correct pages. Your comment #20 also worked really well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...

I have Smart Text Reflow on too... Doesn't seem to cause any trouble...

This puzzles me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Smart Text Reflow on too... Doesn't seem to cause any trouble...

This puzzles me

The Limit to Primary Text frames checkbox could also change the behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines