• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving TIFF file BYTE order IBM Pc

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Adobe CC , photoshop and LR. I have installed it on my laptop and it works as expected . On my desktop PC , a Dell PC , after finishing a edit in photoshop upon saving the save defaults to BYTE order Macintosh and I have to choose IBM Pc every save before saving. Is there a way to have it default to IBM PC. I have after selecting save TIFF and selected IBM PC closed the program hoping it would save the setting but next time it reverts to saving as macintosh. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Even though photoshop should probably remember those settings, now a days that setting makes no difference.

It was only in pretty old software that read tif files that the setting mattered.

Chris Cox, a photoshop engineer, wrote an explanation about it somewhere on these forums

Edit: Found it:

Re: Tiff byte order in PS CS5

the intial question

'i'd like to have the default byte order setting to be Mac and not IBM when saving Tiff files in PS CS5. It seems that it's always defaulting to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

@Pacoh wrote:

I'm a little uncomfortable with this answer because I forgot to set the byte order to IBM a couple times and later found a couple images in LR that could not be displayed.  Maybe that's just a coincidence but it does make me worry.     

It probably is a coincidence, due to Jeff Arola’s answer (the one marked Correct) — that any reasonably recent image editing application, from most developers, should read TIFF files of either byte order without a problem. And by “reasonably rece

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend resetting your preferences. Then see if that fixed it.

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that, Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, the tiff options dialog should remember the byte order option you selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the setting suggested , closed PS , opened a photo and saved it as a tiff again I changed the selected item was macintosh , changed to IBM Pc and saved the file and closed PS. opened Ps tried another and again it choose macintosh , so selected IBM PC and saved and closed and tried a third time and again macintosh . I can not find how to get it to default to save as IBM PC. any help appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might depend what device or software the file came from. Maybe it is selecting the byte order for you.

What if you created a new file in Photoshop, or save an existing jpeg as a Tiff with IBM PC byte order? Does it stay there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though photoshop should probably remember those settings, now a days that setting makes no difference.

It was only in pretty old software that read tif files that the setting mattered.

Chris Cox, a photoshop engineer, wrote an explanation about it somewhere on these forums

Edit: Found it:

Re: Tiff byte order in PS CS5

the intial question

'i'd like to have the default byte order setting to be Mac and not IBM when saving Tiff files in PS CS5. It seems that it's always defaulting to IBM, is there a way to change that?

the reply by Chris Cox

"There is no way to change the default. But for most software (and all correctly written TIFF code) the byte order doesn't matter.

The default was changed to IBM/LittleEndian because that is the byte order for Intel/x86 processors and offers a slight speed advantage when opening and saving.

Historically, Macintosh (68K and PPC) used BigEndian byte order - which is far easier to read, debug, and work with, but isn't the byte order of current desktop processors."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little uncomfortable with this answer because I forgot to set the byte order to IBM a couple times and later found a couple images in LR that could not be displayed.  Maybe that's just a coincidence but it does make me worry.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the problem.

More likely they are layered files, but you did not set "maximize compatibility" in PS prefs. That inserts a flattened composite layer in the file. Lightroom doesn't support layers and can't read them - but it can read a flattened composite.

If you use Lightroom, always set maximize compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pacoh wrote:

It probably is a coincidence, due to Jeff Arola’s answer (the one marked Correct) — that any reasonably recent image editing application, from most developers, should read TIFF files of either byte order without a problem. And by “reasonably recent” I mean versions released in the last 15 to 20 years at least. It’s certainly true that Adobe photo applications recognize both byte orders, so there is no wrong way to set it now. I totally stopped paying attention to that setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ironically, Macs stopped using that order 16 years ago, in 2006. They now use the same order as Windows, because that's what Intel chips use, and M1 chips are the same. But this isn't relevant in any practical way; it's just two choices that apps need to support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines