• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

macOS 12.13 High Sierra: Apple Color Picker not drawing properly in Photoshop CC 2017

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a clean install if macOS 10.13 High Sierra yesterday. Also did clean installs of all the Adobe CC apps I use including Photoshop CC 2017. I switched from Adobe color pickers to Apple color pickers & found a bug. When the Apple color picker is called, the color picker draws only the color drag control and the lower swatches, anything above that is white - no color wheel. Click on the Cancel or Okay button that screen goes away, and the color picker window is drawn a second time. This time it has the color wheel, all the rest of the controls and swatches, but is still missing the row of icons that should be at the top of the color picker, to choose other Apple system pickers, as well as 3rd party picker. The area where they should be is just blank.

Also called Adobe support to report the issue. Figured I'd post here to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

And yes ... I know this is what happens when one jumps into the shallow end of the OS upgrade pool —head first. Guess I like to bleed a little.

Mind you, the color picker works, but I can't select other color pickers that I use regularly. And so it goes ...

Also, so far, everything else seems to be working normally. But I haven't pushed the Photoshop pedal to the metal yet.

Apple Color Picker

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The problem is not mentioned in this link :Known issues - Running Photoshop CC on macOS 10.13 High Sierra

However a  link is given on that page to report further issues

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color me surprise!

I just tried rebooting up my iMac Retina 5K (2014) with extensions off & still the same thing. This is what I get the 1st time I call the color picker after launching PS CC 2017. Click Okay & then I get a second window with the color wheel, but no top controls.

I even removed all my 3rd party Color Pickers out of the Library to make sure it wasn't one of those. Still the same results. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 4.59.28 PM.png

My current setup:

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 5.00.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One question ... did you clean install High Sierra & PS CC 2017, or install 10.13 over your previous macOS version with an already installed Photoshop CC 2017? I can't imagine it's a hardware difference issue. You've piqued my curiosity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I installed over 10.12 and CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I made a mistake and checked my 10.12 MBP. The 10.13 MBP is showing this distorted Apple Color Picker in CC 2017. So we may have a bug.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 3.00.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also an issue of poor design on Apple's part. The new pickers do two horizontal rows of color swatches. The old versions had a thumb below that you could resize row height as well. This was poorly thought out & executed. Hopefully it changes in future OS updates. Don't fix what wasn't broken!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it that way in all Admin users Joe or Gene?

I wonder if there's the possibility of preferences here, sometimes upgrade OS installs can muck with preference files and user permissions.

One of our engineers tested the Apple Color Picker on High Sierra today (not a clean install), and sent me this screenshot:

Here's a reference for setting up a new Administrator user if needed:

macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete ...

Mine was a clean install of macOS High Sierra & a clean install of all my CC apps including Photoshop.

The account is my only account on the iMac and has Admin privileges.

So I think the issue is with a clean install of both. One would think that a clean installing, being the “gold standard“ of upgrading would NOT cause issues.  It’s All clean prefs & default privileges set by the OS & Adobe respectively.

So so I think the techs need to clean install both & see what they get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll have to revise my answer, Pete. Seems the distortion was my playing with the resizing. Nothing wrong with the Apple Color Picker in my install of High Sierra, CC 2017, CC2015.5, or CS6. I'm not missing the top selection bar like AsburyParkJoe.

Gene

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 5.15.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 5.15.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines