• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create book or doc with just page numbers

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can somebody explain to me in detail how to create a document (book) in InDesign adding page numbers to the bottom of the pages. I have numerous pdfs that I want to run through my printer again just to add page numbers on the bottom of each page. I have Adobe InDesign CS6 but am not too familiar with the program. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

OK. Do this:

1. Create a new InDesign document (File > New > Document). Make the new doc the same size as your existing printed pages. Deselect "Facing Pages" if the folios (page numbers) are to be placed at the same location on each page. If, on the other hand, the folios locations are different on even and odd pages, then leave "Facing Pages" selected.
  2. Open the Pages panel (Window > Pages).
  3. Double-click on the Master page icon (or icons) to make them visible.
  4. Place a text frame on each master. Insert

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Adobe Acrobat? If you do it's easy to add a Header & Footer to PDF files to do exactly what you want to do. But because Acrobat has moved some features around, you should say if you have a particular version of Acrobat, and I can give you directions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes I do have Adobe Acrobat X version 10.1.1.

However the problem that I have is that I have been working on this project for several years and don't have access to all the original pdf files...but I have hard copies of everything..that is why I thought if there was a way to create a blank document or book with just page numbers I could re-feed these hard copies through the printer and the page number would get added.

It's a music book that I'm creating and when I create the pdfs I have no idea what page number they will be in the book, as the book (when completed) will be in alphabetical order, relating to song title.

Thanks,

Norm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Do this:

1. Create a new InDesign document (File > New > Document). Make the new doc the same size as your existing printed pages. Deselect "Facing Pages" if the folios (page numbers) are to be placed at the same location on each page. If, on the other hand, the folios locations are different on even and odd pages, then leave "Facing Pages" selected.
  2. Open the Pages panel (Window > Pages).
  3. Double-click on the Master page icon (or icons) to make them visible.
  4. Place a text frame on each master. Insert your cursor in the text frame(s) and choose Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number.
  5. Format each folio accordingly (i.e., font, color, weight, etc.).
  6. If it's a 100 page document, choose Layout > Pages > Insert Pages and add 99 more pages.
  7. Save document.
  8. Print a few test pages of the new blank document to make sure the folios are placed and formatted correctly.
  9. When everything is good to go, load your existing document into your printer and choose File > Print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Scott for your detailed explanation. It worked great!!

Thanks again.

Norm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yay! Glad to be of service, Norm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the original InDesign document or only PDFs? Please clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place your pdf's into indd

Placing a multiple page PDF into InDesign

and than add on template your numbers.

Add page numbering to your pages in Adobe InDesign

if you can't, then order the work from someone who knows

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines