Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cartoon eye blink animation issue

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fe4f7bb5c4.gif unknown.png

I'm trying to make it like the gif, and the picture of the left, but it renders to what it looks like on the right.

I'm rendering this PNG Sequence, that I made blink and it looks perfect the way I wanted it, and when I finally render it, I see it as the (right) image..

[Title edited for clarity. — Mod.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please upload screen shots of the layers and keyframes in the timeline so we can see what the problem

could be? It looks like one of the eyelids is reverse scaling. But I need to see your keyframes. Select the layers and hit the U key to reveal the keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

e24dad9778.pngce4910ead5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the puppet pin you are moving of the eye that is upside down not in the right place. It should be on the edge you want to move and the other pins should be in the corner so you can pull the eyelid down.

A screenshot of the layer in Layer View with the Mesh revealed and the animated pin selected would help. I think it is just a case of improperly placed pins.

It would also help to see how your layers are set up. If you want to animate a blink with Puppet Pin you probably should create a layer that is the eyelash and eyelid closed. Then you add the pins and move the eye and eyelid up to animate the blink.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 2.16.56 PM.png

It is quite difficult to get a smooth arc using Puppet Pin to animate a blink. I would probably use scale, placing the anchor point somewhere near the upper part of the eyelid or use something like Mesh Warp or Liquify.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 2.30.41 PM.png

You can get a much better looking blink with a lot less work.

Another option is to simply animate a mask, create different shapes for the eyelid, or --- or --- there are a zillion ways to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Rick said . . . Plus . . .

Have you looked at Adobe Character Animator? It provides a much easier set of methods for animating characters and he a blink behaviour included. I'd really recommend that you take a look at it. There are lots of great tutorials to get you started;

Building Your Own Animated Face (Adobe Character Animator Tutorial) - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW you can open Character Animator from inside the File menu in After Effects. In the Welcome screen you'll see links to example files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi yeg,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if you have or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines