• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS: Auto-created smart object when placing can be editable but can't be overwritten

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to re-create problem:

PS CC

• New file

• Go to Preferences in PS and check < Always create smart objects when placing >

• Drag an image onto canvas

• Image has been automatically converted into an Smart Object.

• Double click into Smart Object

• Unlock base layer

• Use magic wand to remove some parts of image

• Add layer mask

• CMD+S the smart object

** Problem encountered at this point:

Error message prompted:

Can't save this document back to its original

file format. Flatten layers and discard extra

data as necessary then choose File > Save again.

You can save the file using File > Save As, but the

associated smart objects will not be updated.**

Workaround:

• Turn off < Always create smart objects when placing >

• Drag image

• Control click on layer and convert to smart object.

• Double click on smart object and edit

• Now save the smart object (No error message should prompt)

Issue with auto-smart-object that it only allows for rescaling and some layer properties but not embedded smart object changes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Another workaround, if you have already made the changes and don't want to waste the work is  :

1. When prompted, use Save As and save the smart object contents in a format that supports the layers / masks i.e. psb.

2. Close that psb file, which is now separate document.

3. In the layers panel of the master document right click on the smart object layer and choose "Replace Contents"

4. Navigate to the document you just saved using Save as and click OK

5. Save your master document

You now have a normal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue you describe is actually as intended.

• When you drag and drop a file onto a Photoshop document (with Always Create Smart Objects when Placing enabled) - it retains the file format of that file. IF that file format doesn't support layers, then the issue you describe occurs.  Using file formats that DO support layers won't give you the 'Save As' issue.
  • When you disable the setting (Always Create Smart Objects when Placing) - the image becomes pixels in a Photoshop layer.

Is the image you are placing into Photoshop a JPG by any chance?

• When you double-click the Smart Object the JPG file is opened. JPG doesn't support layers or transparency, so as soon as you convert the background to a layer you'll see this error when you try to save the edits.
  • What you could do as a work-around is convert your JPG images to PSD before you drag them onto the image canvas. In that case having the Always Create Smart Objects when Placing option enabled will not generate the warning you are seeing.

When you disable the Always Create Smart Objects when Placing option, what happens is:

• The image you drag in becomes a layer in Photoshop first, and therefor can have transparency. There is no reference to the original file format in that case.
  • Hence you don't see the warning message as the smart object will open as a .psb file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Cari.

I understand the JPEG problem but it doesn't matter even if you've a PNG.

That process will prompt the same error because of the automatically created smart object.

If you turn off the auto-smart object and place a JPEG into the canvas and convert the JPEG into a smart object.

Remove some elements from the JPEG image and save the smart object, it would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the JPEG problem but it doesn't matter even if you've a PNG.

Do you understand which formats support Photoshop Layers? Only tif, psd, psb come to my mind at current.

Work-around: Save the layered image as a psd or psb and use Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents to replace the png, jpg, whatever with the new file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, c.pfaffenbichler for your comment.

I only posted this as a call-out to any photoshop users.

If you try to follow the steps accordingly, you will understand the problem.

What I'm calling out is that if you place a JPEG image and convert it manually into an SO, it will can remain as an editable SO.

With the recent PS CC's auto convert, it converts into a SO but will have issues.

Btw, your question...

Do you understand which formats support Photoshop Layers? Only tif, psd, psb come to my mind at current.

I think PNG is one of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DamonChen  wrote

Btw, your question...

I think PNG is one of it.

No PNG does not support layers. Transparency - yes, layers -no

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is an issue that occurs frequently for you you could look into automating the saving of a layered file and replacing of the SO with a Script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another workaround, if you have already made the changes and don't want to waste the work is  :

1. When prompted, use Save As and save the smart object contents in a format that supports the layers / masks i.e. psb.

2. Close that psb file, which is now separate document.

3. In the layers panel of the master document right click on the smart object layer and choose "Replace Contents"

4. Navigate to the document you just saved using Save as and click OK

5. Save your master document

You now have a normal psb type smart object

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue with auto-smart-object that it only allows for rescaling and some layer properties but not embedded smart object changes.

That is not correct; the SOs created by placing simply maintain their file format and depending on that they can either support Layers, transparency etc. or not.

To test you can place a psd-file and see whether it is possible to edit and update that SO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines