• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change the path from linked smart objects all at once?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a Master PSD with lots of linked Smart objects, now I want to copy the folder with those Smart Objects and the Master PSD to use them in a new project, but all the Smart Objects are linked to the first folder path; I know I can relink to the new path manually one by one but it takes some time...is there any option to relink to the new path all at once? or maybe using script?

thanks

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you copy the folder that should not be a problem. If you move the folder there will be a problem.  If you first do a copy of the folder you may be able to write a script that would open all you master PSD files change linked smart objects that are linked to the original folder to the copied folder, resave the Master PSD files and close them.  After the link have been changed you could delete the old folder.    If you do a move when a master PSD file that is opened by Photoshop will have smart object links that are broken and you would need to resolve the broken links during Open or not resolve the broken links in the PSD.  You may be able to ignore the broken links and have an open event script set up the would look at linked smart objects and relink the one linked to the old folder.   A batch type script may be able to ignore broken link during open and then resolve the links using Action manager code  perhaps DOM code open may through  an error that you can catch.

Try Opening a PSD that has a broken link in a script and see what happens.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply, but how to write the script, do you have some example, sorry i dont understand with script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can not program a script you should do it manually or not move the folder.  It will take you much more time to learn how to script Photoshop then fixing the links when the PSD files are opened.

How to write the script requires much knowledge of Photoshop,  Programming and knowing a supported scripting language.  Scripting Photoshop is not like recording actions.    Most Photoshop users will never write a Photoshop Script. They will just use scripts other have made available or are shipped with Photoshop like Photomerge, Merge to HDR Pro, Load file into stack, Image Processor, Fit image and so on.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try link smart objects to cloud. You should have 2GB at least. With cloud smart objects you don't need care about paths to files.

Try this feature:

2017-10-01_000500.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

window>properties

click on convert to linked...

enter the path .. enjoy

clipboard_image_0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines