Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot delete folder in Project Manager

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2008 Jul 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ....

We have recently migrated a RHv5 project to RHv7 ... Phew.... but for some reason we have a folder that seems to contain a few images that I have been unable to delete. I don't have the option to delete when I right click on the folder! Other folders are fine ... which indicates my access is A-ok ... I can create a sub folder in this folder and delete it ... but I just can't seem to get rid of it!

We are using RoboSource Control 3.1 so its a shared project with just 2 authors,

Any help ... greatly appreciated!
Ta Fi.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2008 Jul 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

RoboHelp HTML routinely disables the ability to delete folders if it thinks part of the project is still inside the folder. So your goal at this point is to determine exactly what that is. And it may not be a cake walk to figure it out. You are going to have to examine references.

I'd suggest that a likely candidate to help you would be to investigate the Broken Links folder. Or possibly look at Tools > Reports and look at Images and some of the other reports that are available. What you are looking for is a reference to the folder. Once you clobber that, the option to delete the folder should become available.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick!

This is an olddd thread, but I have searched all my project folders looking for any kind of reference to this folder that just will not delete in project manager and I am having no luck. I searched for any reference to it by using the path for the folder but nothing turns up...

Any other ideas or ways to tackle this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried deleting or renaming the .cpd file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried renaming the .cpd file for the project and opened the project to see the delete was an option when I right clicked. If you look at the image below, it's the folder called Web_Client_Help. I moved or deleted all the files under that folder to the first level project folder. There is nothing left in Web_Client_Help except for the .fpj file. As you can see, it has like something under it but the mouse can't click anything. So is there a file that's not showing that I haven't deleted? But I'm racking my brain because there's nothing in that folder and no reference to it in all of the project files.......

web_client_help.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it also exist in Windows File Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted it........from the Windows File Explorer but when I opened my project, RoboHelp would say "/xxxxx/xxxxx/Web_Client_Help folder is missing so we recreated it. Please delete properly from project manager" but it doesn't let me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have any source control at play here? I'd be tempted to try adding a dummy topic to the folder; save the project; exit out of RH; kill off the folder & topic contents in Windows & delete the.cpd file; then fire up RH and see what it thinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried what you asked........folder is still in project manager with that weird gap. RH didn't even say "this folder is missing" this time. And of course, recreated the folder within Windows File Explorer (but the folder is blank).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's the project located? Using any source control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using source control. Project is under (C:).....I opened the .cpd file in notepad++ and it has Web_Client_Help mentioned all over......does that have anything to do with it? (I have no idea what I'm talking about....just throwing stuff out there.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see if you click the little funnel icon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funnel icon.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well shucks on the image. I was rather hoping to see one of the categories with no check mark.

Sounds to me as if a folder was created using a really bizarre character. Are you able to rename it? If so, perhaps it will show if you get a name it likes.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean rename it in RoboHelp, I've tried changing the name but it just creates a folder with the new name in File Explore and doesn't allow me to rename the actual problem folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha - you've got to remove the project completely from source control before trying to mess with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution!!!!!!! I am jumping up and down because I'm so happy.

Step 1) deleted "Web_Client_Help" from the root.fpj file

Step 2) deleted the Web_Client_Help folder within Windows File Explorer

Step 3) deleted the project .cpd file

Step 4) opened the project and voila it's no longer listed in the project manager!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huge applause from Kansas City, MO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick and shoutout to your Chiefs that are 3-0!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the sentiment, but I don't really follow Basketball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only *speak* sports up here in Canada, but aren't the Chiefs an NFL *football* team, Rick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, indeed they are and I was well aware of that.

It's my own little unique way of indicating that I'm not a sports fan in any way. I'm a geek. Hopefully it brings a smile to someone that actually IS a fan.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a football fan, I caught the joke and it made me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp