• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links between Buttons and Bookmarks are breaking when Table of Contents is updated

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using InDesign CS5 ver7 to create an interactive PDF.

The project is a technical parts and service manual which has 3 main sections:

1: Table of Contents

2: Parts List section (which is set out like a table, each line has text in cells and an illustration in the far RHS cell of any given row)

3: Service View section (which are a single pages that contain expanded tech info pertaining to each part as described in each row in the Parts List section)

I am using Buttons and Bookmarks (go to destination) to link back and forth between the Parts List section and the Service View pages. The TOC bookmarks point to the relevant Parts List and Service View pages.

My problem is that the links between my Buttons (in this case a thumbnail tech illustration in the Parts List) and the Bookmarks (in this case the relevant Service View page seem to break when I make a change that updates the TOC. That is to say after exporting to interactive PDF works perfectly until for example I edit text or add a page back in Indesign and re export - when I do this the vast majority of links break and I need to go back through well over 100 instances to relink.

The document is only 63 pages so far but will grow to around 100ish.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you creating your TOC?

Are you using the Layout > Table of Contents dialog? Links created this way depend on calling out the particular paragraph style of the TOC element.

Are you creating Text Anchors for your destinations, and then using buttons and bookmarks to go to the destination?

Are you using Cross-references? Cross-references can go to the destination by choosing either a Text Anchor or a Paragraph Style and then picking an instance of that style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

Thank you.

Yes, I have created the TOC through Layout > Table of contents...

The TOC content are driven by paragraph styles used throughout the document. Perhaps it's worth mentioning that each TOC element is driven by text that is inside a table cell on the given page. The TOC automatically generates a bookmark for each element. These are automatically grouped in folders in the Bookmarks window.

I've attached an image showing the top of each of the three page styles which demonstrate the links and have noted below how they were created.

TOC, Buttons, Bookmarks.jpg

1: TOC page. Example: click text 'Tap LED PCBA'. This is an auto generated bookmark which links to the Parts List page where this item is listed. [These links do not break after changing anything that updates in the TOC)

2: Parts List page. Click the illustration top RHS to skip to the Service View page of this part. I have converted the illustration to a Button in the Button window and I use the 'Go to Destination' action to link this Button with the auto generated Bookmark for the relevant Service View page. [These are the links that are breaking after changing anything that updates in the TOC)

3: Service View page. Click the illustration top RHS to skip back to the Parts List page on which that item exists. I have converted the illustration to a Button and I use the Go to Destination action to link this Button with a Bookmark I have generated for the Parts List page for the relevant Service View page. [These links do not break after changing anything that updates in the TOC)

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you making changes? Are you in any way trying to edit the TOC itself? Or are you relying on making changes in the referenced paragraph style instances that the TOC is built from? Do you use the Layout > Update Table of Contents command? Does the updated TOC look OK in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am changing the text in the referenced paragraph style instances, either to make corrections or when I add a new page.

Once I make the change or addition, I go to Layout > Update Table of Contents to upate the TOC. After this update the TOC looks good in InDesign and reflects the change or new addition and any re-numbering of pages that may have occurred. I do not make changes directly to the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're following the right process.

In some cases (I know EPUB files), there have been cases where the TOC hyperlinks don't have a text anchor. This posting suggests turning on "Make text anchor in source paragraph." I don't know if it applies in your situation.

"Make text anchor in source paragraph" option turned on - error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your help Steve

I will try this out and post the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

No luck I'm afraid. I don't seem to have the Make Text Anchors check box...

I'm working in CS5 version 7.

TOC, Buttons, Bookmarks 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was added, I think, in CS6.

I'll have to turn you over to people who do TOCs more often than me, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is going to be a PDF then using the "Create PDF Bookmarks" the TOC will act as a hyperlink/button anyway within the finished document.... If you are trying to use other hyperlinks or interactive buttons these would be best placed and locked within each page/spread or master.

Also with regards to the breaking links - Do you get the yellow triangle or Red question Mark when they break?

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EW

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes this will be an interactive PDF. Perhaps 'breaking links' wasn't the right term for me to use because I don't have any issues in the Links window (yellow triangle or red question mark) with placed objects (in this case my illustrations).

It's only the action of clicking the illustration in the exported interactive PDF (illustrations are converted to a Button in the InDesign file) which should jump to the relevant page (Bookmark created in the InDesign file) that 'breaks'.

If I set up all the Buttons and Bookmarks then export as an Interactive PDF, everything works perfectly in PDF land. But, if I go back into InDesign and edit (for example) a heading on any given page that is referenced by the TOC and update the TOC then re export as Interactive PDF, then many of the 'links' between buttons and bookmarks get broken.

One thing that comes to mind as I write this is that the 'links' that break in the newly exported PDF seem only to be those where I have a Button that 'links' (via Go to Destination action) to an auto generated Bookmark generated by the TOC. 'Links' to Bookmarks which I have created manually don't seem to break in the newly exported PDF after an updatee of the TOC in InDesign. This perhaps points to something with the auto generated TOC bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to download an example of the actual InDesign file via dropbox etc?... doesn't have to be the actual one or include sensitive information.

I would agree that there seems to possibly be a flaw with the auto generated Go to destination action and I would like to work from the same/similar file to understand better the problem and solution.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another thing to try: Try saving the file as an IDML file. Then reopen in InDesign. There's the possibility it could have a bit of corruption, and this should clear it out, if present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.

I'll give it a go. Yes I feel like what I am doing is all correct, but something is not working as Adobe has designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same issue since CS 5.5. Button destinations don't stick after the document refreshes. Whether you updated the TOC or save it. Whenever it re-caches the structure, the button destinations revert to the first item on the buttons and forms list. I've made the buttons both in the spread and master pages, the same issue. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in CC 2018. Each time I update the TOC my buttons, which are Go to Destination, change to all going to the first listed bookmark, by alphabet. So in my case every button then goes to "Additional Tools", but they don't even go to that when an interactive pdf is created.

I've changed the destination for these buttons so many times - and it's not just this one document. Every document that has buttons has this problem.

I followed the instructions regarding checking "Make Text Anchor in Source Paragraph" in the TOC panel - but that didn't seem to make any difference.

This is really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well, exactly as described. How this can go overlooked for so long, I can't imagine. The entire feature of Go To Destination based on Bookmarks is broken every time Bookmarks are updated. What a disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm battling this exact same problem as well, exactly as everyone is describing above. It's quite frustrating since each time I make a change to my TOC I have to go through and re-designate every Go To Destination throughout my lengthy document. Is there a fix??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. This is an absolute absurd. How do i create an interactive document with a menu linking to specific pages? C'mon Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This post is several years old with all types of issues. Please start your own discussion with full details on versions of InDesign, operating system and how you're viewing the PDF. You'll get much more help that way instead of hijacking an old thread.

Locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines