• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer mask leaves a halo I can't get rid of

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used layer masks before but recently they create a noticeable white halo that seems to grow the more you feather the mask. I've made the background transparent, made sure the selection for the mask was well inside the area I wanted masked, tried all the various options under layer matting on the image and nothing seems to get rid of the halo or white outline except eliminating the layer mask itself. I've never had this problem before.  Is this a bug?  Is there a way to get rid of the white halo?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a bug?

Please don’t even ask such a question until you have done proper trouble-shooting.

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Edit: Also the Properties Panel, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can try to change the transparency settings or the settings of the border of you mask in the top menu panel.

I agree with my c.pfaffenbichler, screenshots would be very helpfull.

Best,

Olga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached a screen shot of my last attempt to get rid of the halo.  I created a layer behind the image and painted in the background color to see if the white halo  (about 1 pixel wide) would disappear.  It did but I got a large halo around the area I had brushed with the background color. 

halo in photoshop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess the halo isn't actually white, but the same light blue I can see on the Photoshop window. It just looks whiute because it's such a light blue against the darker blue inside illustrator. My guess is if you change the illustrator background to be white for a moment, you will see the halo is light blue, just like in Photoshop.

The solution would be to match the design blue with the image's blue. That would effectively give you a cut out image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originally I had a background of sand and vegetation behind the birds but you couldn't see the chick. I removed the background completely and changed the background to transparent. Because I've had problems in the past with a ghosting box behind the image when it is placed in Illustrator, I also add a layer mask to prevent any bleed through.  The background graphic panel color of the light blue is standard to a series of graphic panels. In the sample with the blue edges, I had tried to get rid of the white halo by making a layer behind the birds while in Photoshop and painting the edges around the birds blue to match the color of the background in Illustrator. What was everything looked normal in Photoshop but when I placed the image in Illustrator there was a white halo around the blue. No mask was used in the layer that is behind the birds  where I created the blue edges.

I've used layer masks many times before and never had this problem.

I'm using a windows 10 OS on a PC. I may try the same process on the Mac machine and see if the problem exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi slfarrell,

I have two questions:

1) Are you feathering through the menu Select>Modify>Feather or in the properties panel of the mask?

2) Is the resolution of your image low, medium, or high?

3) What amount of pixels you are trying to feather?

My guestimate is that you might be feathering too many pixels, or that you are feathering through the mask properties panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a layer mask and feathering the edges in the layer mask settings.

The image is a low resolution image but it has been resized up to 204 ppi. I will likely apply filters to make it look painterly to help hide the fact the original image is only a few Mb.

I've tried various settings, varying the feather amount from 0 pixels to 50 pixels.  Typically on an image that will be reproduced 11 x 17 size I set the feather to 2-5 pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

increase feather increases white halo.jpg

In this test I increased the feather in the layer mask and you can still see the white halo or outline around the image when placed in illustrator (one the left)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot does not show the Layers Panel or the Properties Panel.

Can you provide a link to the file itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Atd the bottom of the Layer menu, try this on the silhouetted image layer:

matting.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I did try removing the white matt under the layer matting option. It doesn't have any effect when the layer mask is used and leaves a dark halo or outline in place of the white one. I've experimented with the other setting under Layer Matt but nothing seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see your layer palette in the image, but are you adding a layer effect to that image? Or is it under a layered layer effect? That could cause this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I originally had two layer effects above the image layer and mask but removed them thinking they may impact the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with change in transparency setting.jpg In this version I've adjusted the transparency in the layer mask settings to see if that works.  This image has bad image quality but this halo effect is happening I all the images I've placed into Illustrator from photoshop.  I've even restarted my computer just to see if the program had become corrupted. Sometimes a good cold boot, after the computer has been off a few minutes, clears any program or Windows/program errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked that you haven't accidentally adjusted the Shift Edge property in the Select and Mask interface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

The shift edge value is set to 0% so that's not it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what I found out.  The halo or white line appears visible on the screen but not on the print out.  It appears to be a bug in either the program when working on this PC or in the video driver.  I've learned to be aware and add a note in the file letting the printer know that it should not appear on the final print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines