• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interaction of Dropdown and Conditional text

Participant ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my project I create both CHM and PDF deliverables, and use Conditional Text to suppress CHM navigational items ("click here to ...") in the printed version.

I want to use dropdown text to show/hide a section of text (a list of preconditions), but I want the text to be included in the PDF. So I have the sentence "For preconditions click here." where "here" is a DHTML hotspot for the dropdown text.

But if I use conditional text to suppress this message I also lose the dropdown text in the PDF. I managed to get it working by including one character (the period) in the DHTML hotspot and excluding it from the conditional text, but this is a very inelegant solution. Is there a better way to do it?

I have RoboHelp 7.02.001.

--- Derek

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try two sentences and duplicating the dropdown, one for online and one for print. For print "The preconditions are:"

Then by use of appropriate expressions you use the sentence for the media.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, I had a similar idea yesterday as I cycled home.

It works, but is still not optimal since it involves double information; if a precondition changes I must remember to change both the PDF text and the dropdown.

But it's probably the best I'll get.

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure, can you put Snippets in dropdowns?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, it doesn't seem to be possible. Oh well....

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell me it ain't so!

I've done this by inserting the snippet on the topic just below the text I wish to use for the drop-down trigger. Then select it and cut it to the clipboard. Now paste it into the little DHTML Drop-Down window.

In preview, it would appear the snippet has lost connection with the drop-down contents. (I tried changing the snippet to see if it would reflect in the topic) But I also tried compiling a CHM and it seems to update just fine in the compiled output.

Maybe this will work for you too.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for your interest, Rick.

But I still can't get it working.

Directly inserting a snippet into the dropdown doesn't work, but your idea of pasting from the clipboard does work. And the dropdown snippet is successfully suppressed in the print output (Condition: Print). As you had noted, the Preview window result is sometimes incorrect, but after compilation the snippet is present and updated.

But I couldn't suppress the "fixed" snippet in the Online output. Indeed, if I peek in the HTML I see that the "x-condition: Print;" ends before the "placeholder" of the snippet, and begins again afterwards.

I tried editing the HTML directly; adding the x-condition to the placeholder, then wrapping the snippet in a <span>, but RoboHelp silently cleaned up my efforts.

Any other suggestions?

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp