Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search not working

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Last week one of my team had the issue of the search not working in her compiled .chms. Using this forum I was able to work out that we needed to re-register the itcc.dll. Everything worked fine (thanks forum!)

However the same issue has come up again this afternoon. Runing a search in a .chm compiled by this person does not work. She again re-registered her itcc.dll and again, everything is fine.

Is there anyway we can ensure that this doesn't happen again? I don't want to have to continually check her files to ensure the search works.

Thanks

Emily

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They may want to download and run MJ Plasterer's diagnostics tool which shows if they have all the required HTML Help components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Emily,

You could create a batch (.bat) file that contains the following command and add it to the Startup menu on the Windows Start menu, so that it runs automatically at start-up.

regsvr32 " path_to\itcc.dll" /s

For example:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\itcc.dll" /s

The /s parameter is optional and causes the command to run in "silent" mode (so it doesn't display any message boxes).

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2009 Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

roboengine search prob nov 2009.GIF

Hello there,

Please excuse me if I am not doing this correctly but I am a new user here and saw this thread re "Search not working" so I thought I would add to this to see if correct as that was going to be the title of my request.

We have RoboEngine V8 installed in May 2009. All the WebHelps that we publish to the server all work ok except for the search function? The search button is there but when pressed it does not bring up then search box (see photo)

The URL below shows an example file. Any help / advice/ suggestions very gratefully received as my colleague has spent hours over days with Adobe Help trying to get some help and this keeeps getting escalated and we get promises of callbacks (I have read the Adobe apology!) but never do. (If Carlsberg did Help departments...Adobe would not get the contract.)

She was told that if downloading the RoboJHelp products via IE that they don't download completely and that she should reinstall after downloading via Firefox.!!!!  Not a joke but apparently true! One can't download the products via the world's most popular web browser!

She has downloaded via Firefox and then reinstalled and now search DOES work on her local PC from inside Robohelp but never from the server. She suggested doing the same for the RoboEngine Server component? I am reluctant to do this as I do not have sufficient confidence in the product not to lose all our projects (and they are live) but I will have to if this the only possible solutions.

I have searched the forums etc but do not see any reports with this specifically, just words not found. Any ideas? Is a re-install the way to go?

Many thanks

Neil Cochrane (Laurie Sepke is my colleague and this is her profile)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the suggestion is that RH did not download properly so that you don't have a good installation, is that what you are saying.

First, the suggestion that IE might not have downloaded properly is not a joke. I don't have the details but it does have limits so it is a valid suggestion.

However, I don't buy that as the problem as if it did not download properly, it would have been at the level it would not install properly and therefore you would not have been able to generate anything.

You also refer to RoboEngine. RoboEngine is only for older versions of RoboHelp and any RH8 output that needs the server software needs RoboHelp Server 8. Could that be the problem?

Another problem I have seen is certain file types not having been configured on the server, see Snippets on my site.

You are generating WebHelp Pro? RoboHelp Server 8 is for WebHelp Pro outputs. If you are generating WebHelp (not Pro) then you don't need RoboHelp Server.

Finally are you uploading all the output including the folders and files prefixed WH?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and the URL does not work. Is it available externally?

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be accessable to all from anywhere? Maybe something missed off :

http://209.162.184.44:8080/robohelp/server?%26ver%3D1%26area%3Dgeneral%26mgr%3Dagm%26agt%3Dwsm%26wnd...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reponse.

That is correct, I don't buy this explanation either. At the most it was a reinstallation that was required regardless.

Sorry, I meant to say that we are using RoboHelp Server 8.0, I was used to dealing with the previous versions. We are generating Web Help Pro.

We generate the output and synchronize it to the server so I "believe" this would upload all the necessary files and folders automatically ( unless there is a setting somewhere that could prevent all files from synching?)

For the URL example I sent e.g. the WH files loaded are shown below,

WH files.GIF

I will have a look at your "snippets" thanks and make sure that all the necc file types are configured.

Have you ever seen or heard of this before? If not then I would guess that this must be down to something we have done/not done?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched through the Snippets page on your site thanks but don't see a topic that is to do with "file types not having been configured for server"? Could you possibly point me to the topic in question? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOC Fails to load on server. Snippet 57

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link is now OK. See how the Snippet helps.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2009 Nov 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I was out the end of last week, and my colleague started this communication to assist with the Search issue we are having.

Below where you said the IE download shouldn’t cause this issue because if it doesn't download then nothing generates... well I didn't realize that I had a bad download for the local Robohelp 8 software. I was still able to publish & everything worked normal (as far as I knew) except the search. When viewing the help files locally from my laptop, clicking the Search button would yield an error message. After many hours of troubleshooting with Adobe, we pinpointed it to the faulty IE download. Once I uninstalled, then reinstalled Robohelp 8 from a good download using Firefox, the search function now successfully works when viewing locally. It still doesn't work however when viewing from the server, which is how all our clients view the help files - from our Robo Server.

I thought the same issue could be affecting our server as I experie3nced on my local pc.

Does that make sense?

Thanks, Laurie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2009 Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes but you don't say if you have looked at the snippet.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp