• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop will not relink files

Participant ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am not really new to Photoshop, but am having difficulty with something just within the last week or two that I've never run into before.

Every time I open an old photoshop file it asks me to update links that have not moved. After I update these it still shows that it is unlinked in the layers panel:

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.33.38 PM.png

I have also tried to "relink to file" and "replace contents" with the ORIGINAL FILE and this does not work. It solves it for a second and then goes back to having the red question mark.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.33.46 PM.png

The only thing that seems to work is linking it to a Library Graphic, but not all of these are saved in my Library.

The ONLY thing I have been doing differently lately is "placing Linked" files into my photoshop docs and creating new Libraries. (until a few weeks ago I did not utilize the library feature).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is really slowing me down.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange. This should only happen if Ps is unable to find the linked file.

Try embedding the file after linking to see if Ps behaves any better.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply....this is what i get when i try to embed:

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 2.19.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, did you relink before you tried this?

Are you able to rasterize the layer?

Both options can be accessed from the layers panel menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did relink before doing it.

I can rasterize it. But I'd rather not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I agree on the Rasterization. It was a troubleshooting step.

Can you open the linked smart object if you double click the icon on the layer thumbnail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I can't open by clicking the icon.  It keeps asking me to relink it.  And yes, davescm I can open it directly from the folder.

Strange right?! I update photoshop and still having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you open the file you are trying to link to?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you create a new document with two layers to test if it's a document or application problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Master mo, I don't know how I'm missed this reply. I'm so sorry. It was happening with quite a few of my documents, so I think it's application. I'll update and see if that helps it. And if I find the solution I'll post it here for anyone else who might have the problem. I basically just had to keep relinking until I saved for print. It was not ideal, but ended up working out in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines