• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection tool adds 1 pixel around my selection, even with snap to guides.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My mind is bending.

I am trying to select a rectangle which is enclosed in guides for maximum precision. I activated snap to guides but when I use the marquee tool it adds 1 pixel all around the selection, very close to the guides but never actually snapping to the guide which breaks my pattern. I have reset preferences, deactivated snap to guides and reactivated it.. but it won't happen.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a screen shot

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 3.59.09 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please zoom way in. Check to see if your guides are at the edges of actual pixel squares, or situated in the middle of them.If you randomly create guides without watching where they end up (at the edge of pixels), you'll be disappointed because Photoshop only makes selections based on pixel edges. So, even with snapping to guides turned on, you'll get whole pixels.

One workaround may be to double your pixel resolution (or any variation of making a denser image). That way, your pixels seem smaller, relative to the content you've created, so you can create your guides at smaller increments.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will try this.

I'm working on a 72dpi image, by doubling to 150dpi won't I get a pixelated image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem AND I have to zoom way in just to place the guide precisely on the edge of a pixel square. What is the reason for not making guides snap to pixels (or whatever units your ruler is set to) and selections snap to guides the default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make the guides at whatever exact position you want via View > New Guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Press Ctrl + R then look at Ruler. Check that guide is properly positioned at pixel (marching ants on screenshot) not between two pixels (guide on screenshot).

ruler and guide.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines