• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a solution for the mouse pointer issue on High Sierra yet?

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

since the MacOS Update to High Sierra my mouse pointer is corrupted ONLY IN INDESIGN and not visible anymore. Instead there is a more or less transparent square of pixels and it is almost impossible to hit small points on the screen.

I have already switched off the GPU acceleration but it did not change anything. The only thing I can do is to close an restart InDesign. This gives me some minutes, but thats no solution...

It is the same issue on my MacBook Pro an on my iMac.

Is there a way to slove the problem?

Thanks very much,

Timo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

I'm unlocking this thread long enough to inform High Sierra users that Apple released an update today that should fix this issue. Read about it here: Apple releases macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update with bug fixes for Adobe InDesign, Mail

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to Sierra and wait for Apple to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have isolated this issue, it is mainly present on macOS 10.13, and can occurs anytime whenever cursor related functionality being used like placing/drag-drop/selection etc.

We are actively working with Apple on this issue to get it resolved as soon as possible. However, it may not get fixed with the GM build of High Sierra (10.13), but a subsequent Dot Release.

We will surely let our customer know, once we have more information from Apple.

Workaround:

1) Restart InDesign.

2) Revert back to macOS 10.12.6

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the macOS High Sierra beta Version 10.13.1 got rid of this problem. Yes, it's a beta and may have bugs, but InDesign WORKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have reported that it doesn’t fix it. So caution is still advised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrade to 10.13.1 does not fix the issue. Still have the cursor problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then best option is to go back to the old OS. If you don’t use time machine there should be a copy in the applications folder. Use diskmaker x 6 and create a bootable usb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth wasn't the issue isolated and users warned AHEAD of the MacOS 10.13 release? Hopefully the engineers at Adobe have learned that they need to take advantage of Apple's beta builds and make those builds a part of future software testing.

This shouldn't have happened. And it's not Apple, it's Adobe's failure to be proactive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alextheberge  wrote

Why on earth wasn't the issue isolated and users warned AHEAD of the MacOS 10.13 release? Hopefully the engineers at Adobe have learned that they need to take advantage of Apple's beta builds and make those builds a part of future software testing.

This shouldn't have happened. And it's not Apple, it's Adobe's failure to be proactive.

Well said! Apple released 10 public betas of High Sierra during the summer. One would think Adobe had enough time to test and fix their software before the final release of macOS 10.13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. More wannabe software engineers are checking in.

Does it occur to you that Adobe told Apple about this and Apple hasn't fixed it? Until a dot release from either Adobe or Apple fixes it, stop making foolish assumptions.

And while I'm on the topic of foolish. Stop upgrading an operating system on a production machine without testing and research!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine  wrote

Great. More wannabe software engineers are checking in.

Does it occur to you that Adobe told Apple about this and Apple hasn't fixed it? Until a dot release from either Adobe or Apple fixes it, stop making foolish assumptions.

And while I'm on the topic of foolish. Stop upgrading an operating system on a production machine without testing and research!

Let's accept for a moment that it is Apple's fault, not Adobe's.

A while ago, I remember another software company warning their users NOT to upgrade to the latest version of the operating system because of a critical bug they discovered during the betas. I received their email BEFORE the final release of the OS and I delayed the upgrade until the bug was fixed.

On August 11, a user on the Macrumors forums discovered the cursor bug in Indesign (see here​), using one of the public beta versions of macOS High Sierra. If someone at Adobe bothered to test the software during the betas, they would've had plenty of time to warn the users not to upgrade, at least one week before the final release of macOS 10.13 (which was on September 25). Adobe has all our emails, could've send an email blast to all CC subscribers.

But yeah, we're to blame because we upgraded our systems. It's not 1999 anymore. We do upgrade the systems as soon as possible and we expect better service from a big software company like Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will not dispute the fact that Adobe dropped the ball in warning users. But so did Apple in releasing this thing. InDesign is not the only application with issues and there are no Wacom drivers available yet, either. But the information was out there and has been for some time.

NEVER upgrade an operating system without a)making 100% sure through testing and/or research that everything you need works and b)a full backup in case something goes wrong.

That you made a foolish assumption is on you and anyone else that made it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm unlocking this thread long enough to inform High Sierra users that Apple released an update today that should fix this issue. Read about it here: Apple releases macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update with bug fixes for Adobe InDesign, Mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will repeat what I have said in any number of other threads associated with this problem …

Adobe certainly did test InDesign with prerelease versions of MacOS 10.13 and did in fact report the bug to Apple. And Apple in fact acknowledged the bug.

Adobe couldn't “warn users” prior to MacOS 10.13 release because Apple does not release the final code to developers any earlier than they release it to the public. In fact the actual release 10.13 was different than the final prerelease that we saw. It was possible that in fact Apple could have fixed the bug between the last prerelease and the customer release. We had no way to know this.

But since you want an Adobe warning, let me provide it to you. Both operating system developers, but especially Apple, release their products more on a predetermined marketing schedule than on when the code is fully-compatible with existing applications! As such, you should simply assume that there will be issues until either the operating system developer fixes the bug or the application developer figures out a way to work around the OS bug but still maintain full functionality, performance, and compatibility with earlier OS versions!

If you blithely download and install new software versions on production systems on the initial day of release, you deserve all the tzuris you get!

- Dov

PS:     As this thread has run its course in terms of providing information and has turned into a “they should'a / they could'a” argument, we are locking it!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THERE IS A WORKAROUND: I just completed a newspaper layout despite the issue.

If you position your blurred color square (where the cursor would be) to the right of where you want to be, then press Ctrl-Click, the cursor appears (along with the menu dialog). Move your cursor to where you need and click once. Then click again and using the shift key, you can resize things, move things, etc. It's a pain in the ass, but it works and you get used to it. The trick is the second click, before you try to effect any changes.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is like playing Baldur's Gate.

You have to point on some hidden places (on exact pixels) and some secret weapon than appears under cursor.

Crazy!

Work takes 2x time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines