• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save JPG as PSD before editing?

Participant ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm processing photos for web publication. Is there any advantage to saving the JPGs as PSDs before editing?

Or should the save-as PSD be after the image has been edited as a JPG?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

It makes no difference. Once the file is open it is neither jpeg or PSD. It is only given a file type on saving.

However - the bit that is correct is to save your file as a layered PSD and don't resave the file image that was opened from a jpeg file as another jpeg. You can of course export a copy as a jpeg if required elsewhere.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes no difference. Once the file is open it is neither jpeg or PSD. It is only given a file type on saving.

However - the bit that is correct is to save your file as a layered PSD and don't resave the file image that was opened from a jpeg file as another jpeg. You can of course export a copy as a jpeg if required elsewhere.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...don't resave the file image that was opened from a jpeg file as another jpeg

All my images begin as JPGs. Then I edit them and Save for Web as JPGs (I'm just now getting into CC and I know the Save for Web is legacy). Somewhere in between I save them as PSD.

Given that, what order should I be using to not resave the file image that was opened from a jpeg file as another jpeg?

When you say "export a copy as a jpeg" do you mean export from PSD or export from the open file?

Thank you, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Your workflow is fine

Open the jpeg

Edit

Save the master as a PSD complete with layers. Always come back to this master when exporting copies.

If a jpeg is required use Export - Save for Web Legacy to create that copy

Exporting that final jpeg from the open file or re-opening the PSD to create it makes no difference

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Know one thing about jpegs. They are "lossy", that is they save disk space because they throw out detail in the compression process. They are meant for final delivery.

If your capture device is a camera, use the camera raw format option, save as a psd, then edit and export at maximum quality as a jpeg.

Otherwise follow Dave's advice. Just be sure you have the highest quality jpegs from your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all you have is a single layer it make do difference what you save as long as there is no transparency.  Jpeg does not support transparency.

If you have layers you should save both a layer File and a flattened file like jpeg for web and print..  You do not need to flatten your document in fact you should not Photoshop will save a flat jpeg and you will still be editing you layerd document.   You want to  keep your layer in case you need to make additional changes in the future.  Keep your work layers.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James if you just learning Photoshop relax and take your time do not try to skip learning the basic of digital images.  Photoshop is huge and complex its not something you can learn in a short time frame.  In fact the more you use Photoshop the more you will learn about it.  I do not believe anyone knows all of Photoshop.  I know I do not and I have been using Photoshop for more then twenty years I'm a slow leaner and I forget thing I have learned.  Save for web may be legacy and may be removed at some time in the future.   You never had to use it.  The was always Save as Jpeg, save a gif, save a png.  Save for Web does other thing beside saving a jpeg file.  It can strip metadata save other file type convert to srgb etc. You do not need to run the latest version of Photoshop you can use a version that has save for web. I do not use CC 2017 it has bugs I do not like.  You can also use export and generator to create your create web assets. These features mat also have issues however you will be able to create what you need.  All in all Photoshop is a great program and my play toy. Like all large complex programs there are bugs.  Adobe will fix some reported bugs.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, JJMack, and gener7 - I appreciate all the help.

I looked in the Forum Help and did not find an answer to this:

What if there is not any one Correct Answer? Some questions will have a "correct answer" but as in this thread, all replies were helpful. What is the appropriate action on my part regarding marking a correct answer?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Usually the first one, I'll just take a "helpful"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines