• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom secondary monitor jumps from second screen to primary screen (i.e., both)

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running LR 6.5.  Often, when I open the secondary monitor and then switch to grid view on the primary monitor, a "second" secondary monitor window will open on the primary screen. In other words, I have the primary monitor showing grid view, the secondary monitor showing loupe view, and another small secondary window on the primary monitor (also showing loupe view).  Does anyone know how I can stop this second secondary window from opening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Hi Paulcohn,

Please update to the latest version of Lightroom following the steps mentioned in Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paulcohn,

Please update to the latest version of Lightroom following the steps mentioned in Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings.

I am also having the same issue. I am running running Lightroom CC 2015.12 on Mac OS. CC is showing as fully up to date. I am running my primary screen on my Macbook Pro (labeled primary in iOS), and secondary screen connected through thunderbolt (labeled secondary in iOS).

When I turn on the secondary screen option it typically pops up over the main screen on the macbook pro at about 75% of full screen size. I drag it to the secondary external monitor and stretch it to basically fill the whole screen. All works fine until I leave LR and open another app, or view the desktop. The secondary screen will typically shrink back to that same 75% size and most of the type jumps back to the primary screen. It will occasionally just shrink to the same small size and stay on the secondary display.

This is really dragging down productivity to continually have to scale and move the second window. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually sounds like a different issue than the original one, and it might have been better to start a different thread. Anyway, in your case, try this and report back if it helps:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click Mission Control.
  3. If "Displays Have Separate Spaces" is on, turn it off.
  4. Log out and back in.

Does it work any better than it did before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Conrad, Thank you for the idea. Displays have separate spaces was on. I did turn it off and restarted. The secondary window is still shrinking, but so far has stayed on the second monitor. Last time it happened was in grid view and clicking File > Import Photos and Video. The screen shrunk when the import dialog popped up.

Thanks

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, the secondary window did just shrink and move back to the primary screen again on import.

This is frustrating.

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondering if this issue has returned again. macOS Big Sur. Not 100% sure if this corresponds to the recent security patch 11.6.3.

LRC 11.1.

Noticing a whole swap of primary and secondary windows between two monitors. 

Just had primary and secondary strangely alternating on the main display.

Not consistent enough to understand the cause.

Wasn't doing this say a month ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked through the scenario a few more times. There is different behaviour depending on whether the main LRC window is on the primary or secondary display.

So there are two monitors in this setup. Primary and Secondary. Primary is the one that is associated with the menu bar in the Display System Preferences.

Place the Lightroom main window on the Primary display (the one that has the menu attached in Display preferences). There is no secondary window opened.

Window > Secondary Display > Show 

The Loupe opens in a windowless window on the Primary display, over the top of the main window. The second display is unchanged. So you don't take advantage of having two screens.

Window > Secondary Display > Show (to untick)

Back to main Lightroom window displayed on the Primary display.

Now drag the main LRC window onto the secondary display.

Repeat the same steps

Window > Secondary Display > Show 

Loupe now appears on the main display. The two displays are now showing Lightroom windows - which is what you expect, but reversed in screen order.

Additionally go to Display Preferences and drag the menu bar to the secondary display.

Same odd behaviour for the secondary window appearing on the same screen as the LRC main window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to LRC > Preferences > Display

Toggling the selection of displays - even though there is really only one option, seemed to help LRC realise which display was for the secondary window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines