Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To? Context Sensitive Help in Java Application

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm currently still using RH X5. I would consider myself very fluent with RH X5, I just haven't created any context sensitive help in several years (I am familiar with map IDs). Lately, I always compile as WebHelp. I need to create a context sensitive help project for a Java application. Can I still compile the help project as WebHelp? Would there be a better option? If so, why? (I don't know if there are any certain requirements for Java.) What are the instructions I need to give the Java developer to incorporate the context sensitive help into the Java application?

Thanks for your help!
Lynn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynn,

There are a couple of different options for calling context-sensitive WebHelp from a Java app. I use the map ID method, which is explained on Peter Grainge's site on this page.

The second option is using URLs, described on this page.

Hope this helps!

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note: I find the map ID method simpler for communication with the developers because they put the same two JavaScript strings in each file (if they use templates or include pages, they do this once), and then I just give them the map ID to change in each page. It seems that the URL method takes a little more coordination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben,

I don't think my Java developers have ever incorporated context sensitive help before. I need to be able to give them specific instructions on what they need to do - but I don't know Java. I can give them the map IDs. What are the JavaScript strings that you mention? Where in the file are these supposed to put?

Thanks!
Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first link I provided is to a page on Peter Grainge's site where he provides the two strings. Here are the basics:

1. Go to the place where RH is installed on your computer and find the CSH API folder. Inside that folder is a file called RoboHelp_CSH.js. Give that file to the developers so they can put it in the application files somewhere convenient to the Java pages.

2. In the head of each Java file, the following string should be placed:

<script language="JavaScript" src="RoboHelp_CSH.js"></script>

where the entire path from the Java file to the JS file should be included (but the developers should be familiar with that).

3. For the help link, the developers need to do something like this:

<a href="javascript:RH_ShowHelp(0, StrPathAndWindow, HH_HELP_CONTEXT, 1);">Help</a>

where "StrPathAndWindow" is the path to the .htm start page you specify in the first page of the WebHelp layout wizard; and "1" is the map ID for the help topic you want to call.

You'll need to work out with the developers where in the app the help lives so that the correct path ("StrPathAndWindow") is put in the help call.

For example: RH_ShowHelp(0, "../help/index.htm", HH_HELP_CONTEXT, 25);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help Ben!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's a link to another excellent resource (has demo movies, etc): http://www.adobe.com/devnet/robohelp/articles/context_help.html

i actually had a similar question, and someone told me about the above-indicated HTML page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks LaKisha1,

I found this same article within one of the links from Ben. I think this contains just the information I need. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp