• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife edits a lot of videos for her work. For the last couple years or so she has been using an off the shelf HP Envy Phoenix desktop -

Intel i7-4770 CPU (4 cores)

16GBs RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
SanDisk 480GB SSD Drive (Cant remember the exact one).

When she would encode a video it would max out the CPU to 100% and use around half the RAM. A 10 minute video would take around 2+ hours to encode.

She recently had me build her a PC in hopes that it would reduce encoding times -

Intel i9-7900x CPU (10 cores)

Corsair 32GB DDR4 (2x16)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD

ASUS PRIME X299-A Motherboard

When she tries to encode a 10 minute video now, not only does it not take less time, it actually seems to take more...

She used a video project she knew took 2 hours to encode on the old PC, encoded it on the new PC, and it still said it would take 2 hours. After a couple hours of internet searches and checking settings to try and figure out why it didn't seem to be improving the encoding time, we decided to leave the video to encode for a while to see what would happen. We went and watched TV for a couple of hours, came back, and it still said 2+ hours remaining even though the video had progressed to around half completed... so apparently it at least doubled the encoding time that her old desktop would take.

We're both very confused.

We've done searches, messed with settings, made sure all drivers are up to date, and tried old versions of Premiere (in the past, an update caused encoding times to go way up) but nothing has made a difference.

The settings are set for CUDA accelerated. Ive tried doing a clean install of the GPU drivers, Ive updated the motherboard BIOS, Ive messed with various BIOS settings for the CPU (all things Ive had people tell me to try just to see what happens) and nothing.  I ran a benchmark test of the PC because someone told me there may be something wrong somewhere, and the results seemed good to me (not that I really know what Im looking at).  A 10 minute video is still taking well over 2 hours to encode.  The CPU is a little more than half used, RAM is a little less than half.

At one point she started a completely new project and didnt put any kind of effects or anything in it, and the encoding time was the same on the new and old computer. The old computer actually seemed to be a few minutes faster.

We both expected far better results out of this new PC, and needless to say shes very disappointed.

So what am I missing here?

Thanks.

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download and run my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and Submit the results.  PPBM has three timelines but four tests which stress your CPU, GPU and Storage hardware using Premiere Pro.  With that data we can tell a lot about your setup and correct anything that may be causing problems.  I will be delighted to see my first test results from an i9-7900X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem kept me from sleeping so here I am at midnight.

I will describe your situation with one of our dear departed Harm's similes.  Your old system was like a Volkswagen Beetle, your new system you dropped in an i9-7900X Ferrari Racing engine into your new one and supercharged it with a GTX 1080 Ti, then you ued an aerodynamic body with 32 GB of RAM.but the bottleneck problem is you used the same type single SATA III SSD for the transmission and differential.

I consider it a sin that you do not have a new super speed M.2 PCIe x4 SSD like a Samsung 960 as a SECOND SSD device for all your Adobe project files and media when your motherboard is perfectly set up to use one.  There also are tuning steps that you have to perform to get the maximum horsepower out of that wonderful new computer.

Go ahead and run PPBM and Submit me the whole snapshot file (not a screen grab) as I can help more with the data in that file.  A ASUS feature is AURA, turn it off! as a starting point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

I will run PPBM tomorrow and get the results back to you.  My wife has been editing on the PC all day so I haven't had a chance to sit down with it and really try anything, and there's a video encoding right now that's going to take 8 hours.

As far as the SSD, I dropped that one in there because its was all I was really familiar with.  I didn't know what M.2 was until I bought all the parts and started putting all this stuff together.  I'm not computer illiterate or anything, but I'm not really in touch with everything like I once was either.

But since we've been trying to figure out why the encoding hasn't been improved at all, I've been reading about better ways to run your system for video editing (like having the second drive for project files and media), but the thing is, those are just ways to make it run BETTER, right?  I figured once we figure out what the problem is now, I could help her squeeze more performance out of it later, but when you say the SSD is the bottleneck, do you mean its the reason we're seeing the performance we're seeing, or are you saying it could be set up a lot more efficiently than it is?

Because I'm aware that I'm far from an expert on these matters, so I could very well be wrong in assuming this, but I really thought we would see some kind of noticeable improvement going from the old system to this new one, even if she is using the one SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next time you have access to the computer test one of the exports, open Task Manager and look at Performance Tab to see how much CPU is being used and maybe download GPU-Z and in the Sensors Tab see how much GPU load.   While you have the Task Manager open (before you fire up Premiere) and how many processes are running?.

Have you done any tuning like:

• Turn off indexing on the SSD
  • Disable every Startup item that you can
  • Kill that Asus Aura program
  • Do not run any unnecessary programs while exporting.
  • And more tuning

I cannot guarantee the the second SSD will guarantee your performance because we do not know your media/settings.  But for instance the PPBM disk intensive test on my 8-core desktop using a single 840 for everything the export time is 87 seconds while the two drive 840/960 Pro export was 24 seconds.  Now you will get no where near that speedup with any typical timelines you have because exports are really very CPU intensive, our Disk I/O timeline is specifically designed purposely to stress the device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just submitted the results and the system snapshot.

I had already finished before I saw your last reply...

Indexing is on, but I do have all the startup programs disabled, I don't think I have Aura on the computer but I turned off the LEDs in the BIOS (it was the closest thing I could think of), I did the PPBM immediately after a restart and didn't open anything else before, or during, the tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed I totally forgot to answer the other stuff you asked...

Before I opened Premiere, right after a restart, there were 30 background processes.

While running the H.264 test, the CPU usage hovered around 95% - but around 65% for the MPEG2-DVD test.

The GPU load was all over the place for the H.264 test - but stayed around 98% for the MPEG2-DVD test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got your results

"93","65","13","278", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22

Right off the bat that last number of 278 seconds is not very good if you look at my PPBM CPU scores you are at the bottom of the 6-core numbers.  This most likely means you still have too many other processes stealing CPU cycles

Your GPU Accelerated MPEG2-DVD score is great at 13 seconds.

Your GPU Accelerated H.264 score is not good because your CPU is not yet doing its job.

More early this afternoon (EDT) I have to run right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had premiere pro cc running in windows 10 pro and the encoding time was horrible. it wasn't even using the 12 threads to the max. I moved premiere pro over to windows 7 and bam, what a difference. I only use a GTX 950 but the two pass encode for my 2 hour video went from 2:15 to 0:42 when using all threads. This is encoding video from a 7200RPM hard drive and not an SSD. Encoding from an M.2 won't make as big a deal as people here would say. It's going to read your incoming video a little faster but the encoding / decoding will still be primarily done by the CPU. Sure some effects will be handled by the GPU. In your case moving from the GT 640 (dinosaur) to the 1080 (Ferrari) will help with CUDA processing. Background processes in Windows 10 are inevitable but you have to find a way to get all your cores / threads to max out at near 100% when encoding or it will still take a long time.

If you can dual boot into Windows 7, i suggest you give that a try and encode the video in that O/S. You will be amazed at the speed difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, yes. get a separate drive for your video files. Remember with one drive you will be reading / writing back to the same drive which will increase the encoding time dramatically. Windows uses the primary drive also for it's paging file. Even with 32GB of system memory, windows will still use the system drive and paging file (unless you turn off the page file). So combine windows using the drive plus Premiere reading and writing from the same drive and you have your bottleneck

Try the second drive and see if that makes a major difference. It doesn't have to be an M.2 drive, the difference between that and a standard ssd will not be mind numbing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Later today I think I can test that theory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue here is that Adobe Premiere is not making use of the full power of the pc because it is not prepared and ready

for that power. For now the 5960x and 6950x are the best for Premiere. Going to the 7gen is an invitation to editing headaches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But not everyone can afford those CPU's and for those at home like these people, they can get decent results by preparing their machines. A simple dedicated drive for video storage should make a fair difference here.

Upgrading like he did will make a world of difference. I know it did in my case and i'm only running a GTX 950 with Ryzen 1600. Only difference is i have 2 drives for video and Windows 7 which is way better than Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran out and got a 2nd drive - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - to see if it would help, and it hasnt made any difference.  I put all the source material on the 2nd drive and I exported it to the main drive, and its the same.

Should the disks be showing fast read/write speeds in Task Manager?  Because I had it open while exporting and they arent showing much activity at all.  The C drive, where the project was being exported to, was barely passing 200 KB/s write speed.

I tried seeing what happened if I had everything on the C drive, like I was doing before, and the most it seemed to show was 1 MB/s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you move the media cache files to the second drive? Did you double check to ensure that the settings are to use MPE Cuda? I have source material on a 7200 RPM hard drive and export either to the same drive or a different 7200 RPM drive.

On my Ryzen 1600 the main difference was accomplished by running Premiere in Windows 7. In Windows 10, it never fully utilized the 6 cores / 12 threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What preset or format are you trying to encode to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved the media cache to the 2nd drive and CUDA is selected.
And the format is H.264.

I dont know if going to Windows 7 is really going to be an option though.

But even so, whether or not Windows 7 is better, with all things being equal, shouldn't there be a noticeable difference between the 2 machines just right off the bat?

Thats whats killing me.  I know there are ways to squeeze out *extra* performance, but it seems like there should have been an improvement just going from the old PC to the new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there should have been a major difference.

Did you change the bitrate of the H.264 preset? What if you just select H.264 ad then high bitrate. Leave at 1 pass encoding and choose "Maximum Render Quality".

GIve me an hour to chew on this though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about "previews" during encoding? Did you try switching that off? Have you tried exporting the sequence directly from Media Encoder instead of Premiere Pro? Still researching and will add more later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the effects you are using on the sequence / clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about core parking? Have you investigated that and the power profile your PC is using? As mentioned, i had windows 10 pro installed and a whole bunch of tweaks but Premiere still wasn't using the cores to the max. I had processes down to a minimum. When i dual booted into Windows 7 and installed Premiere, i used the same export settings and voila, Media Encoder was encoding the video using nearly all 6 cores and all 12 threads showed nearly 100% usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael

I took a look at you Speccy file and found over 90 processes running so I thiink that you still have something stealing CPU cycles that is causing your problem.

Here is my editing only 8-core after turn-on, before I run Premiere.  You will not get that low a number (62 processes) because you have more programs installed

Try turning off your Kaspersky Antivirus and test.

Processes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to say I took that Speccy snapshot after I had done a few things, so it wasnt after a fresh restart and stuff, but Ill jump on there when I can and check that out.  Looks like I accidentally looked at *background* processes when asked how many were running.  Theres a video encoding so I cant get on the PC and mess with it right now.

But would processes running really affect it THAT much??  You would know better than me, but it seems crazy to me that a PC like that one couldnt handle some processes running and export a video at the same time without completely choking up like that.  I mean, it hardly seems worth the money that was spent on it if that's the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, my wife just told me she already does disable Kaspersky when she uses Premiere.

But she uses the computer for other things too, so if using it for anything other than video is whats killing it, then that probably wouldnt make much of a difference.

When I can get on it though, Ill disable as much as I can and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Norton running in the background and i never disable it. Premiere still runs as a champ and Media Encoder uses all threads and encodes fast.

If you modify a preset to encode at a higher bit rate it can add processing time but having processes in the background is normal.

When you run resource monitor in the background now is it utilizing the cores / threads at near 80 - 100 percent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines