• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why is my cursor not showing correctly in INDESIGN

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to macOS 11 the cursor in INDESIGN is showing as a "ragged square" and not an arrow which makes editing / cropping etc almost impossible, what is the fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Hi everyone,

This issue has been resolved with the MacOS 10.13 Supplemental Update released today. Please update your OS if you're experiencing this issue with High Sierra.

pasted_image_at_2017_10_05_12_33_pm.png

Thanks,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug between High Sierra and Adobe InDesign. There is no fix yet, other than reverting back to Sierra. Adobe says it will require an update of High Sierra to prevent it from happening.

In the meantime, restarting InDesign will make it revert back to the normal cursor, but it will eventually reappear. Very annoying.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same problem with Photoshop now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

As you know, Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra is now publicly available for all Mac users to install. However, InDesign CC 2017 (and earlier versions) for Mac was not optimized for High Sierra. We are actively working with Apple on this issue to get it fixed asap. If you are experiencing InDesign compatibility issues with High Sierra, please report them to Adobe InDesign Feedback. By reporting on User Voice you will receive a notification when the issues are resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Here's a link with more details: Known issues - Running InDesign CC on macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem when I switched to the High Sierra Beta. It is only now that the release version is available that Adobe seems to be doing anything about it.

Maybe I'm naive but surely major software vendors like Adobe should test their products on Beta versions of the operating software upgrades as soon as they are available??? Then you could have the problem fixed before release and could put out some form of notification to those of us using, say, InDesign on the beta OS. I spent hours on forums trying to identify, and fix,  the problem!!

Surely cant be too hard can it?

Cheers.....Scotty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, if you could let us know if we (Mac users) should update our Macs or not, that would be great. You got our emails. You could just send one email to all registered users 'hi guys, our products are not ready for new version of your OS, please be careful with update'. That would save a lot of our nerves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer has already been posted. Nothing's changed, yet.

Apple has still not fixed it and there's nothing Adobe can do about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet more blame-shifting pomposity from Adobe and its paid representatives: don't be ridiculous, it couldn't possibly be our fault.

Go ahead, Adobe. Blame anyone but yourselves. Adobe had months of betas to test for any issues but failed dismally to identify critical incompatibilities between Adobe software and Apple's operating system and – unforgivably – failed to warn subscribers that there were critical issues.

Oh, and go ahead and close this thread – as you have many others – when Bob or one of the other puppets on the payroll has had a little rant of their own.

Tiresome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paid? HA!

I'm here because I enjoy helping people. Dealing with poorly informed malcontents that rush into new operating systems with no research, testing or backups is the downside. That too is tiresome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucky for me, Bob, that I'm not one of your "poorly informed malcontents". I'm not sure the sizeable portion of Adobe's customer base who don't have the benefit of your expansive knowledge will appreciate the slur on their character though.

Now, if Adobe had taken the trouble to warn their subscribers by email when the critical incompatibilities first came to light and then people chose to go ahead and install High Sierra, well… that would be a different matter. But Adobe didn't take the trouble to warn us, did they?

PS Good to know that you enjoy your work so much. It's not at all easy to discern that from the frequent put-downs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Guys, if you could let us know if we (Mac users) should update our Macs or not, that would be great. You got our emails. You could just send one email to all registered users 'hi guys, our products are not ready for new version of your OS, please be careful with update'. That would save a lot of our nerves.

You should always assume you get this mail for every new system. You only have to visit the forums to see it is ALWAYS true, even if you dodge a bullet often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Cursor is lost in Indesign since upgrading to iOS 11. Adobe seems to be few steps behind on everything these days. Most designers are on iOS. I could not even answer Abobe survey on my iPhone after uopgrading to iOS 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AbolBahadori  wrote

Same issue here. Cursor is lost in Indesign since upgrading to iOS 11. Adobe seems to be few steps behind on everything these days. Most designers are on iOS. I could not even answer Abobe survey on my iPhone after uopgrading to iOS 11.

iOS 11? What are you referring to? InDesign is not available on iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Apple's strategy of making macOS updates available for free from the Mac App Store and providing access to public betas of upcoming new versions has been very successful in encouraging us to keep our Macs updated. However, sometimes enthusiasm for the newest features can get the better of us and we upgrade in haste only to repent later.

"Perhaps bugs in the public beta broke an app you depend on, or maybe features you relied on work differently or have disappeared in a newer version of macOS. Maybe software you rely on no longer works - if you were using Microsoft Office 2011 for example you may find that the apps you rely on no longer work.

"Whatever your reason for hating the new MacOS, you may be wondering if you can revert back to the older version of the operating system."...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-remove-macos-high-sierra-downgrade-el-capitan-3581...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, BarbBinder. Another Adobe evangelist saying 'It's not our fault, it's theirs.' Adobe had plenty of time to use those very betas to test their software.

And, Test Screen Name, you should always assume your supplier – whom you pay well for their service – has your best interest at heart and will inform you in good time should any issues arise with their service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not an Adobe Evangelist... just a trainer and a user and here, I volunteer in my spare my time to help other users figure out how to use InDesign features. Got a long document question? I'm your girl.

We know you are upset—I would be too in the same situation—and I'm sorry, but venting at us doesn't actually fix anything. The ACPs don't work for Apple, or Adobe. We can't fix bugs. We can offer advice that you can heed or ignore, but that's all we've got. On that note, here's my advice: roll back to a working OS until Apple releases the patch that addresses this issue.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic has been addressed in a good number of threads.

Adobe has officially responded. Apple knows about the problem based on our report to them based upon our tests with prereleases of MacOS 10.13.  We are now awaiting their fix. Adobe can't fix Apple OS code, plain and simple. Hopefully the fix will come out with an early MacOS 10.13 patch release.

Until then, other than to either not upgrade to MacOS 10.13 or to simply live with the mucked up cursor is all that can be done.

Others in these threads have been very explicit with their advice with regards to blithely downloading and installing new OS versions on day 1 of availability onto production systems. I won't repeat but do endorse their advice!

- Dov

PS:     To address snarky comments on this and other threads, of course Adobe tests our current (and often release or two back versions) of our software with prerelease versions of new OS versions provided by OS vendors (including Apple and Microsoft) and promptly report anomalies we find that appear to be OS bugs. Unfortunately, not all such OS bugs are resolved prior to the OS release dates. And FWIW, there are a large number of MacOS applications and utilities that found similar “issues” with MacOS 10.13 and are awaiting bug fixes from Apple.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone,

This issue has been resolved with the MacOS 10.13 Supplemental Update released today. Please update your OS if you're experiencing this issue with High Sierra.

pasted_image_at_2017_10_05_12_33_pm.png

Thanks,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines