Exit

Grab or drag layer to upward desire layer in same document

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is condition ,Suppose i have a 1000 of layer in document

fig4.png

i want to drag aa layer to upward the dd layer ,In image it show simple but if u have 1000 of layer it would difficult to grab or drag layer upward to desire layer.i know there is a shortcut  like ctrl+[  something but it take lots time to drag layer upward to desire layer several time pressing this shortcut because this shortcut not working function like holding ctrl and +[ button and the layer goes automatically upward,if u did not use like this.. experiment yourself ...in my case  this condition occurs several time,if any script or free extension let me know.it will helpful for me and this is my first post in adobe community . i try a lot search forum but i did not find answer ..no one have issue like this strange for me...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

If you colour the two layers then moving is easy - just switch on the filter by color and only those two layers will show. Then it is just drag one step.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ctrl +] will move the layer up and ctrl+[ will move the layer down. There should not be any delay in that movement and it should be quicker than dragging with your mouse. You can even select several layer and use the same shortcut keys to move the layers or groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meredithb8081254  wrote

ctrl +] will move the layer up and ctrl+[ will move the layer down. There should not be any delay in that movement and it should be quicker than dragging with your mouse. You can even select several layer and use the same shortcut keys to move the layers or groups.

Thanks to take time for this,i am advance user in photoshop , suppose u have 50 layer in document ,and i want to take 1 layer up above the 45 layer..with shortcut i have to do 44 time press button of ctrl+] because it not working layer continuous upward by holding ctrl+]  . it a simple condition but reality i have tones of layer in same document ,its hurt my finger by pressing ctrl+].i need tip and trick or script to make this easire..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suppose u have 50 layer in document ,and i want to take 1 layer up above the 45 layer..with shortcut i have to do 44 time press button of ctrl+] because it not working layer continuous upward by holding ctrl+]

I do not quite understand how you imagine this should be streamlined, how can the target position be determined?

Do you know exactly how many layers the specific layer needs to be moved up? 

If for example two Layers are selected one could probably create a Script to move the lower one up to immediately below the upper one.

This could pretty much be done with an Action even (Group, Ungroup).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using that many layers you should be organizing them in groups. Arrange functions (such as bring to front) will work within the group, rather than the entire layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If u did not sure about creating group or u can say i experiment with element ,in that movement u make group and again u think that element did not suppose to be in group and again u ungroup that and so on..because i did not take fix layer name I just experiment with elements that I make several time same layers In ungroup and group...final project I set into group...I need script that  drag layer up upon desire layer fast ...or any trick will helpfull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use groups for sure - 1000 layers - make 10 groups of 100, maybe another 5 in each of those and name them maybe even color them.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

U did not experiment with ur client project..because I did not remember that what is on 1000 layer if have deadline I did not named layer..because I also experiment with layer or element ..sometime when u group some layer some layer hidden in another layer that's arranging promblem ..i just go with flow..so groups layer is not a good idea..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can group temporarily. Say you want to move layer 10 above layer 50. Click layer 50, shift click layer 10 and group them, select layer 10 and use Arrange-Bring To Front. Ungroup when you are done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edgrimley  wrote

You can group temporarily. Say you want to move layer 10 above layer 50. Click layer 50, shift click layer 10 and group them, select layer 10 and use Arrange-Bring To Front. Ungroup when you are done.

First of all 'thank to take a time for this question ...but we have a lots of different type of layers .Some of layer is clipped or kinda type something included linked lock or mask layer. It will disturb by make group ,and if u ungroup after group then  u will face arranging layers problem..i faced this problem in past.i know ur method group layers is also helpful but not in many cases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gomax,

I know understand what you are trying to do because moving layers up or down when you have many layers can be tedious and frustrating. However, I don't know of any shortcut or script that will help you out with that. I am sure you could write one yourself or research to see if there is one already written. If not, I am very keen on layer management, especially in Photoshop. I am in agreeing with other suggestions to just group some of your layers to make this process easier for you. Also, if you have 50+ layers and you want to move one near the top or bottom, you could add the shift key (shift+ctrl+] on PC or cmd+ctrl+] on Mac on the ] to go down the list) to help make the moving layer process be a little less tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the main problem here as identifying the target location – how can one identify where to put the Layer without a lot of scrolling etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi c.pfaffenbichler,

This is a good question. I would just layer color the layer (like in red) that I am trying to identify and move it as close to it as possible. I would hope it was close to the top or the bottom so that I can identify it easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer Colors would indeed be an option to mark positions in the stack, the coloring could be done by Action and Shortcut, so that could be fairly convenient.

One would have to decide on a color one does not use otherwise, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler  wrote

Layer Colors would indeed be an option to mark positions in the stack, the coloring could be done by Action and Shortcut, so that could be fairly convenient.

One would have to decide on a color one does not use otherwise, though.

@happie_97 and @c.pafaffenbichler if I combine ur answer . It would near to solve my question thanks to take a time to solving this..but I am w8 someone have another idea to make it more precise..by the way thanks guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you colour the two layers then moving is easy - just switch on the filter by color and only those two layers will show. Then it is just drag one step.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with you pfaffenbichle​. Red is one of my favorite colors, but I try to only use it as my emergency color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Untitled-S.jpg

if i add this answer that result is this and thanks guys to take a time to solving this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines