Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want to make fill of text transparent but not stroke

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

Currently using Photoshop CC and i'm trying to make my text "no fill" and add "stroke" to create an outline-styled text. However, when i click on the 'direct selection tool' with the text layer selected, the Fill & Stroke boxes on the top menu wont allow me make changes...

Any thoughts what's the issue here?  Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 23.56.34.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Depending on the output needs converting the Type Layer to a Shape Layer (Type > Convert to Shape) and using that one’s Stroke instead of the Layer Style might be called for, but that naturally comes at the cost of the text’s edibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8400449  wrote

Hey everyone,

Currently using Photoshop CC and i'm trying to make my text "no fill" and add "stroke" to create an outline-styled text. However, when i click on the 'direct selection tool' with the text layer selected, the Fill & Stroke boxes on the top menu wont allow me make changes...

Any thoughts what's the issue here?  Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 23.56.34.png

Since you are on Photoshop CC, better ask in the Photoshop forum

Photoshop General Discussion

This is the Photoshop Elements forum; the options of the software are different.

EDIT [branched from older thread by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MichaelBParis,

Go to your layer panel and hover over the word fill until you see the double header slider icon.

Hold alt key down and drag to the left and you will change the opacity of the text only.

Your stroke will be untouched.

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are going about this in the wrong way

1) Start with some text on a background

1.png

2)Use a 'layer effect' to apply a stroke like below

2.png

3) In the layers panel take the 'fill' value down to 0% Fill only affects the text and not the layer effect.

3.png

Finally just adjust the image with curves or levels.

galaxy with text.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the output needs converting the Type Layer to a Shape Layer (Type > Convert to Shape) and using that one’s Stroke instead of the Layer Style might be called for, but that naturally comes at the cost of the text’s edibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I come from 5 years in the future to say this worked and thank you so very much you great human you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a meaningful screenshot that includes all pertinent Panels.

You might be confusing the features of Shape Layers and Type Layers, but as you clipped your screenshot to the point of meaninglessness it’s hard to tell.

happy_97 (edit: and Terri Stevens) probably assumes you used the Layer Style »Stroke« but again it is not possible to tell for sure what you did exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone! Sorry for posting a PS CC question on a Elements forum... Didnt realize i did that! But the problem was indeed resolved!

You guys ROCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8400449 Glad you got the problem resolved. Can you help us out by marking the correct answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Theresa J,

I'm new to this so i'm not sure how to mark as "correct answer".  How do I mark it "correct"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To mark an answer correct - sign in (you can't do it via email) then scroll through and, when you see the most correct answer, click on the "correct answer"  button in that post

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines