• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text changes point size when nudged

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having this issue where I'll set a point size to a whole number, let's say 12pts, when I come back after moving text around, nudging not scaling, the type has changed to some decimal number 12.12 or 12.56. It's not a whole number and it drives me nuts! I can't seem to find a solution and my colleagues have noticed the same thing but do not have a solution other than going over each text box before finalizing the document. I'm wondering is there a way to lock the point sizes to whole numbers in some hidden preference panel?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you list your steps? What are you nudging it with, the move tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the move tool and arrows to make a small move, sometimes I use the transform tool and drag the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can certainly see how if you are in transform that you might be actually transforming the object (in this case type) and end up enlarging the font size. Why do you use a transform to move a typed object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not happening when I nudge text, with either method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm having trouble recreating the issue by moving the text. I use transform so that I can center the text on the grid.

If it's not due to dragging the text maybe when I'm coping and pasting from another art board it changes. Whatever I'm doing it's changing the text by decimals of a point and I just want the whole numbers to stay and not shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't recreate it either unless I am in transform and drag on one of the transform handles which resizes. Are you talking about copying within artboards within the same Photoshop file or copying to a different file? If so, is the resolution the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's likely to be because you are using a linear measurment, as in points, and that the pixel size of your canvas does not fit perfectly to the available pixels. This is something I noticed a good while back when p[lacing guides at the 50% mark.  Unless your canvas has an odd number of pixels, the guide will be slightly offset.

Try turning off Snap vector tools to grid if it worries you, or just ignore it.  The higher yur DPI the less it will show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was a solution ever found for this problem? I'm having issues with font sizes changing as you describe when designing web banners that need whole font sizes on everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like rounding, which is often necessary. For instance, PNG defines resolution in centimeters per inch, while font size is based on inches. That's almost certain to result in slight misalignments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines