• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old versions: Upgrade CS3 to CS4

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Sorry about the old version question.  I am a long time user of CS3.  My new printer plug-in is now requiring CS4 as the minimum version.  Since I am budget limited and need an offline version of Photoshop, I am eyeing a new unopened CS4 Extended upgrade version for sale.

I have PS 6 (full), CS2 (upgrade) and CS3 extended (full) original CDs and serials.  My current CS3 is running well on Win7.

My old Adobe ID login does not work so I just created this current one.  So...  assuming the unopened CS4 upgrade is a legit copy, would it be a safe bet that it would install over my current CS3?  I'm not stuck on CS4, but I think its all I can afford right now.  Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to install it without problems. First take a look at the system requirements. Photoshop system requirements

Since you say it is unopened, it was probably never registered to another owner. If you are purchasing a previously registered CS4, it's best to have the owner legally transfer it to you Transfer an Adobe product license

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's seems strange to me that some are happy to spend large amounts of money on hardware, such as printers and computers, but are reluctant to pay the modest monthly subscription for the software to run the devices. (£9.98 a month in the U.K. for example for the latest versions of  Photoshop and Lightroom including updates.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Derek+Cross  wrote

It's seems strange to me that some are happy to spend large amounts of money on hardware, such as printers and computers, but are reluctant to pay the modest monthly subscription for the software to run the devices.

It's psychology. Hardware is a thing, a piece of furniture you can stumble and hurt your toe on. Software is just...a summer breeze...floating out there on the internet...free goodies...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people like to buy and some like to rent. When hardware is purchased, it is bought and paid for once and you own it. With a subscription, software is rented and the payment is due every month. If a person, for whatever reason, cannot continue to rent the software they lose the use of it and cannot open the files they created with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not agree more! As a retiree I would not look forward to a continuing monthly payment for a program that I use infrequently - my Photoshop CS3 is in this category. It is a great program and still does what I need.

I believe there was an update available from my current version 10.0 to 10.0.1, which has some desirable improvements. Unfortunately Adobe seems to have closed the door on that. Am I right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. That landed me in an array of dazzling alternatives, none of which immediately presented itself as the right path.

I worked through several Google searches and finally landed an Adobe discussion re the update for Macintosh, which gave me the right terminology to copy and paste in Google again. This led to a download from a Dutch language discussion on Adobe - the update was clearly labeled "International".

The zipped file arrived (approx. 73MB) and the update was seamless. I have not worked with it yet but hope to enjoy the improvements soon.

Again, many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I landed you on that page because you may want to get other CS updates.

Adobe - Bridge : For Windows : Adobe Bridge CS3 2.1.1 update  and

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Camera Raw 4.6 update

I usually assume anyone can navigate the page, but if there is something you don't understand, always follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend to think about Photoshop & Lightroom subscription. You save more time on all these installation and problem solving stuff and incredibly extend your creative capabilities. CC function range and user experience has been extremely optimized since CS3/4, so it worth it.

Best,

Olga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with you but how about the lost of tools like Filter/Artistic/Plastic Wrap and the rest. I cannot find the like of it in Photoshop 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines