• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preparing files for printer: 8 or 16 bit?

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Half of my files were shot in JPEG and therefore have low tonal variation in the histogram. The other half in TIFF have high variation. All are converted to PSDs for the printer.

For the best quality, should I send the first half out as dithered 8 bits and the second as 16 bits?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

There's no reason to send out 16 bit files, they'll get converted to 8 anyway. However, there's very good reason to work in 16 bits.

If you receive jpegs that you need to do further work on, save them as PSD or TIFF immediately. A jpeg deteriorates with every resave.

Don't send out PSD. Keep master PSDs and prepare copies for print. These can be jpegs for convenience, but if quality requirements are high, send TIFF, which is widely supported on all platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: some of the pictures have gaps in tonal variation; some do not. The ones shot in JPEGs tend to have no shadows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no reason to send out 16 bit files, they'll get converted to 8 anyway. However, there's very good reason to work in 16 bits.

If you receive jpegs that you need to do further work on, save them as PSD or TIFF immediately. A jpeg deteriorates with every resave.

Don't send out PSD. Keep master PSDs and prepare copies for print. These can be jpegs for convenience, but if quality requirements are high, send TIFF, which is widely supported on all platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, yes, I did work mostly in 16. So now I should convert to 8, or just leave them all as they are? The publisher has requested PSDs. And, yes, I did save all JPEGS as TIFF immediately... check check check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Djuna+A.  wrote

The publisher has requested PSDs.

OK, that's an odd request indeed. It suggests they're going to modify them further - that's the only plausible reason. If you're comfortable with that, just give them what they want (personally I wouldn't - I'd ask them why).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, they're going to fiddle with the size (but not aspect ratio) to fit an A5 layout.

Which mades me wonder... I already flattened all the layers. I don't think there's any way I can lock down everything-but-the-size at this point so that they don't accidentally do something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, yes, I did work mostly in 16. So now I should convert to 8, or just leave them all as they are? The publisher has requested PSDs.

The publisher will be placing the image in a page layout right? In that case the request for PSD isn't unusual—both InDesign and Quark support PSD placement. I never place TIFF because a PSD's layer visibility can be controlled from the layout, which in many workflows is an important feature that is lost with TIFF.

Also for 16-bit editing to be effective you have to capture the 16-bits out of the camera via camera raw's workflow options. Opening a file as 8-bit and converting to 16-bit won't recover the lost gray levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any file can be modified, there's no way to "lock down". But with a PSD or TIFF you can do that without inflicting too much damage to the data, especially in 16 bit color depth.

So if you know things will be done downstream, and you're OK with that, 16 bit PSD is probably the best choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2017 a lot of services print directly in jpg. It really depends what are going to print and on which kind of printer.

Of course, never send psd files to print. Usually send Tiff, jpg or pdf.

From my experience most of print service ask for a high quality jpg file instead of a tiff file, because of the file size and their ability to print great images also from a jpg file. Said that, tiff is a format with better quality but can be really (really) large size.

Regards,
Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines