• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Add Delete Anchor ?? PEN TOOL MANUAL NO INDEX NO MANUAL ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wasted 2 hrs trying to figure out how the pen tool works in Photoshop CC 2017    The tutorial I am watching says to use AUTO ADD DELETE checkbox  in the top tool bar.   Mine has not a check box.    

If only I had a manual with an index !  But no I can not find it quikly because adobe has no manual with no index.  I search "PEN TOOL" in the latest reference and I get zero results.  I go to the online manual and it appears that they think I have all the time in the world to slowly dig through there online manual to find pen tool.

Really this embroils me with frustration because I feel that information is deliberately difficult to find.   I have to buy a book that has a manual.

I dont see an option to install older versions of photoshop so I could use a version that SHOW THE AUTO ADD DELete checkbox as the tutorials I am whatching states.

I want to learn the pen tool so I have waisted half my morning chasind my tail to find information that should be by law included with my purchase of my program  A

until then I need explicit answers on how to use pen tools in photoshop cc 2017 please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Hi

The narrow toolbar was an option for those working on small low res screens (e.g some laptops) - it does not remove any functions it just replaces words with icons

Normal:

Narrow :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having laid down some points, hover over an existing point and the cursor will show a tiny minus.  Click to remove

Hover where you want a new point, and when you see the tiny plus cursor, click to add

This graphic might help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum's Michael Hoffman has an excellent range of tutorials on using the pen tool

Michael Hoffman - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your tool option bar visible and the pen tool active?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the pen tool became about 1000% easier to use when I discovered modifier keys.

Press Ctrl, and the pen turns into the selection tool - path or selective according to which is active in the tool bar. The direct selection tool, the white arrow, allows you to move individual points.

Press Alt, and it turns into the Convert Point tool. This lets you modify handles individually, on the fly, as you work.

So by keeping two fingers on these keys, as you work, you can work in a much more fluid and intuitive way. It takes a little practice, but you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good point Dag.  I'll have to update my little cheat sheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some good links and advice above.

You may also want to take a look at this Adobe help page:

Draw with Pen tools in Photoshop

Incidentally that page comes up at the top if you type Pen Tool Draw into the search box in Photoshop and click on learn

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the reason your not seeing Auto Add/Delete is in the Photoshop CC or Edit>Preferences>Workspace you have Enable Narrow Options Bar checked.

If so, uncheck it and restart photoshop.

enob.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN what case would I need part of my toolbar removed. ?    It reminds me of the option in MS WORD where it does not auto-correct spelling in words that are in UPERCACE. like  OBSTANANT !         Thanks for the replies !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The narrow toolbar was an option for those working on small low res screens (e.g some laptops) - it does not remove any functions it just replaces words with icons

Normal:

Narrow :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My auto add delete was missing, I reset pen tool options - no change, restarted PS no change, change to different pen tool and back and it appeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, what do you mean by different pen tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines