• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to copy visemes as keyframes to After Effects?

Explorer ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering as Character Animator does this nice computing of lip sync from audio: I guess, the visemes are like keyframes triggering the mouth shapes. Is there a way to copy this information to After Effects to get like toggle hold keyframes, e.g. stating the corresponding key numbers for the 14 mouth shapes?
As Character Animator can benefit from AE's face tracker, it would be nice being able to copy data the other way around as well. 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Impressive workaround! Almost sorry to say that a new Copy Visemes for After Effects command (right-click on a viseme take bar, just above the visemes themselves) has been added to the recently announced, soon-to-ship, version of Ch (1.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet. But this is a common request we hear at http://adobe.com/go/ch_wish - you're not alone, people want more data coming in from CH to AE. Like even if my handles came in as nulls...man that would be awesome for tracking purposes.

Anyway, agreed - thanks for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool - sounds like it's gonna happen - hopefully sooner than later
Yep, getting hold of all the animation data would be great!
Thanks for replying Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up:
I created a set up as a work around to create keyframes from visemes, computed in Character Animator.
It's a simple idea: A special mouth puppet, which triggers little dots at specified positions - in addition to the animated mouth.
These flashing dots can be read/sampled in AE via an expression, which again can be converted to keyframes.
So you can implement CH in a workflow to drive the usual time remapped mouth shape layer in AE or use the keyframes to trigger other stuff.  

I made these preset files - PSD-template for CH + AE file - available for free: https://gum.co/StzUP
and did a tutorial video well.

LJ visemes - CH2AE - tutorial from Lars Jandel on Vimeo.

[Mod note: For some reason the mod queue wasn't allowing this post to go through with the embedded imagry that was in it. I removed the two embeds and it finally went through. Looks like the links are fine, but the embedded video was a problem - Jon Fritz II]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow, I'm blown away - this is amazing! Okay to feature in next month's tips video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure Dave. Let me know, if you need additional footage. I did not set up the PSD-template to fit HD in it's full height. Let me know, if it is big enough for your video. …or just use parts of the video on vimeo, which can be downloaded as well.

Thanks, cheers, Lars.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange about the embeds - another try to upload at least the gif again. Thanks!

LJ-visemes-CH2AE-v1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impressive workaround! Almost sorry to say that a new Copy Visemes for After Effects command (right-click on a viseme take bar, just above the visemes themselves) has been added to the recently announced, soon-to-ship, version of Ch (1.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! But of course all users are happy, when a feature request gets properly implemented and a right-click to do the whole thing is much more convenient than my workaround - keep new features coming - cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines