• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What causes the full file name to be listed with bookmarks?

Nov 21, 2008 Nov 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning! What drives RH to list the full file name in bookmark code in some files, and in others its just the href="#bookmark? If you change the file name...all the bookmark links with full file names break. Am I doing something wrong when I created them...? Not sure how that's possible...but something is driving this! Any helpful hints from the masters online?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in topic A and linking to bookmark in that topic I'd expect the link to be just #1. However if you were linking to bookmark 1 in topic B from topic A the link would be topicB.htm#1. The key is whether you are linking to a bookmark in another topic. That said if you rename a file, the references to it should be updated so there are no broken links. I assume you are renaming inside the RH project as if not that would cause broken links. Have you saved the project after the rename?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't write that very clear did I? Sorry! No...these are all bookmarks within the same topic - bookmarks to other parts of File A. I'm renaming my topics to fit the file name into 25 characters per Adobe Support and many are coming up with broken links to all their internal bookmarks. When I look at the code, the previous name is spelled out in the href link. I have to use search/replace to remove the original file name and leave just the #bookmark link. This is very random, certainly not all topics. But I wonder what I did to cause the original file name to be part of the bookmark?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh...yes...all renaming is being done IN Robohelp! I know better than to do any renaming out of RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Teri

It's been my experience that if you elect to create a link from inside the topic to a bookmark, and you choose the bookmark from the dialog, you end up with a link that simply has the hash and the bookmark (#Bookmark).

Where you see the file name preceding the hash and the bookmark, odds are the link was created by the user clicking the bookmark in either the Project Manager or the Topic List and dragging from there to create the link. When links are created in that fashion (I'm addicted to creating links that way myself - it's like crack to me - if I knew what that was like LOL) RoboHelp creates the link with the file name (FileName.htm#Bookmark).

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh my...yes, we too are addicted to 'drop & drag' for everything. Well...that explains it. Thanks (as always!) Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp