Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow pc ? rendering time ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i am most of the time an audio guy using audition and recently started using after effects.

I bought a new pc : Win 10 pro, Ryzen 7 Processor, 32Gb ram, GeForce GTX1080Ti, several ssd's

Started working on it and it's really fast, reliable and stable in audition, but when i have a project in after effects, it's slow, very slow, for instance, i have a project ready, i render it on my 6 year old i5 processor laptop with 12Gb ram and no special graphics card and it takes 34 minutes to render, if i render the same project on my new pc it takes more then 4 hours !  Tried contacting the adobe helpdesk, but did not receive any more help, they said, it probably is a hardware issue and they are a software company so, go figure it out yourself...  so now what ?

Someone knows why that is happening ? I've also noticed that Ram preview is almost non existing on my new pc, it just wont work...

When i opened up task manager, i've noticed that my processor is only at 11% during rendering ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing that you have not tuned your computer to get rid of excess processes that are stealing memory and more importantly CPU time. Do you have Premiere Pro installed?  I ask because I have the Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) that can test your hardware using Premiere Pro.  On that site you can see some other Ryzen results.  Submit the results to me and I will comment on them.  I have seen great results from some Ryzen's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep i have the whole suite, but it's been 15 years since i last edited in premiere... i will download it and see what i can do and send you the results.

What bothers me is that there is no load on he cpu, when i am rendering it only works 11% ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i did the test and submitted the test results to the site mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted before I got your post with these scores:.

"141","62","14","79", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22

Three out of four is not bad for opening Premiere for the first time in a long time.  Your score of 79 seconds just is to good to be true.  I do not know exactly why but maybe you did not check every procedure.  I have a heuristic estimate of the mid 200's with my 8-core running at 4.5 GHz at 240 seconds I sincerely doubt you can beat my 240 seconds 

Your two GPU accelerated scores of 62 seconds and 14 seconds are very good scores and what I would expect for your GTX 1080 Ti

Your Disk Intensive 141 seconds is typical of a good Hard disk drive.  If you had exported to a SSD it would have been much faster.

Now why your AE is running slow as I said check to see how many cores and threads are being used and what speed the CPU is running

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

my pc is fast very fast, i just opened a premiere project of a friend and he , as well as me, where stunned by the speed it rendered...

Also in audition it is  very fast and stable. Only in after effects it's a disaster.

Concerning the PPBM test, i checked every setting that was mentioned, so i should have done the test correctly, but didn't notice a 4th step ?

Also, i did export to an ssd and not a good hdd.. ?

I will look for the GPU-Z and post the result here as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, first of all, my friend that was just here made some changes in the settings of windows energypanel, and it makes somewhat of a difference, it renders a bit aster now, but still not what it should be...

i also did a gpu-z test and have a txt file, but can not upload it here in a post

task manager2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I knew more about AE but as you can see one thread is near 100%

Two things bother me, first you have 158 processes running, can you turn off some of those go to the Startup Tab and disable everythiong that you can.and close unused programs. notice I have 113 while running Premiere for that full load test.  Try exporting the PPBM MEPG2-DVD timeline without the GPU acceleration again and see if you get 100% usage.

Second notice you memory usage that should not happen.

We really need some AE experts to jump in here and help out.Kevin-Monahan can you find us some help my knowledge of AE is minimal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hmm in the startup tab there are only 9 items, of wich 3 adobe related. the other ones are acrotray, google chrome, Nvidia proxy, Program and windows defender notification icon.

so not much to alter there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand but lets see how well you do on specifically the CPU intensive test.  Also you might download GPU-Z and under the Sensors Tab see how much GPU loading that there is when you do your timeline export

Also I believe that some/much of AE does not use multiple threads very well and is more dependent on clock speed.  Next time you run it look at Task Manager on the Performance Tab.like below and see what my 8-core 16-thread processor using Windows 10 Creator (1703) does with very CPU intensive code all threads at 100% usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a drastic experiment go into your BIOS and disable half your cores and see how your system performs according to testing by

Puget the more cores you throw at AE the slower it goes

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/After-Effects-CC-2017-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i9-7940X-796...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little reading on the AE forum, this is known problem and Adobe is looking into it for several years now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines