• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I "warp" text in CC InDesign? NOT wrap, "warp."

Participant ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I "warp" text in CC InDesign? NOT wrap, "warp," like in Photoshop (i.e. "Bulge," "Arch," "Arc," "Flat" etc.).

Thanks, Scott

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

No, but you can do it in Photoshop as you indicated, or in Illustrator, and then place the resulting warped text into an InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but you can do it in Photoshop as you indicated, or in Illustrator, and then place the resulting warped text into an InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick and concise answer, Barb. It took me two hours to get that simple question answered elsewhere.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm awaiting the InDesign 2017 manual from my local library.

That said, I thought all formatting was lost when placing text into InDesign. Or has that changed with Creative Cloud InDesign 2017?

In addition, I was sternly warned NOT to rasterize text prior to importing to InDesign (this is for print, by the way). Won't the text first have to be rasterized in Photoshop then placed into InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

don't rasterize text, if you don't have to.
The best format you can import to InDesign is PDF.

Save a PDF/X-4 out of PhotoShop and place that.

Or a PDF with a similar pdf-version number ( 1.4 and above ).
Do not downsample images while exporting.

Do not use PhotoShop's own psd format with InDesign.

All vector information in the psd would be rasterized with InDesign's export to PDF.

The placed PDF would stay intact as possible.

At least vector information would not be rasterized.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott: Uwe gave you the Photoshop workflow.

Here's an alternative. Do you have the CC subscription? If so, you have Illustrator. You might not know Ai well yet, but this is very straightforward and Ai is a vector application so no worries about rasterizing.

1. Make a new document.
  2. Click with the Type tool (don't drag out a frame) and type in the text. Format.
  3. Select the text with the Selection tool.
  4. Click the triangle next to the Warp button to make sure "Make with Warp" is checked.
  5. Click the Warp button. Pick your desired warp—the ones you mentioned are listed.
    Adobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_001.png
  6. When done, switch to the Artboard tool and fit the artboard to the text. Artwork bounds will always work, Selected art if it is still selected.
    Adobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_002.png
  7. Use File > Place in InDesign.
  8. Observe the links panel—no resolution (actual or effective PPI) listed because it's a vector file.
    InDesign CCss_007.png
  9. If you want to refine the warp, click the Pencil button to hop back to Ai, fix it, save and return.
    Adobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Now THAT is a definitive and detailed answer. A big thanks to both you, Barb, and Uwe.

I only wish I could simply use the "warp" function in Photoshop (and InDesign) because it's just so much quicker and easier. Just click, move the sliders and your done. Oh well, a this point I'll take what I can get.

Thanks again to both of you.

Much appreciated,

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad we could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb's ai workflow above—in ai—is a huge productivity boost. Indesign is awesome because it breaks down barriers that would otherwise exist between the different apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I came to love about the Creative Suite and then the Creative Cloud apps. They streamline our workflow, which helps us get our jobs done more quickly so that we can go out and play.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem logical that inDesign would have the ability to warp text. inDesign has wonderful type handling tools…Warp would be a nice addition. If anyone is listening..:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the place for feature requests if you want the product managers to see them.

Instead post them here:

Feature Requests/Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines