• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Free Creative Cloud Membership--Benefits?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just color me confused. I am active in the Adobe communiuty via the desktop app. In this regard, I have perpetual license Light Room and a perpetual license Photoshop CS6 Extended (along with Bridge 5.0.2.4). Apparently, I have a free Creative Cloud membership simply because I have these products (possibly mainly since I have perpetual Lightroom. Both are installed on the latest MacBook Pro running the latest update of Sierra.

I am confused about my rights to various products. For example,  the desktop app shows "Launch" on "Portfolio." Am I allowed to use this product without charge? And, Bridge CC (2017) shows "Install." Do I have the right to install this product without charge. If yes, would the installation of this product interfere with the use of Bridge 5.0.2.4? (i.e., Is each of them a standalone program?)

I would appreciate any information you can provide me about my rights to use/download CC apps without charge.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

yes, the dng converters are stand-alone and (afaik) is will continue to be kept up-to-date with the latest cameras and continue to be offered free by adobe.

you do not need camera raw updates to use the dng converters. the only downside to the dng converters is convenience. ie, cr integrated into your adobe programs is more convenient to use than the dng converters, The best Camera Raw Tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check your account to see what cc membership you have, https://accounts.adobe.com

owning ps6 and lr5 does not entitle anyone to cc membership.   being active in the adobe community may have triggered a gratis membership.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kglad. As said, I have a free membership/account. See the attachment about my free membership "rights." Things still are unclear to me though, things along the lines I mentioned above.

I hope the attachment attached. I can't tell if it did.

Trying to attach again.Rights.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use all the programs in cc (for the trial duration, usually 7 days).  anything you create with the programs is yours to keep when the trial expires, but you won't be able to open any of the files in the expired adobe programs (unless you start a subscription some time).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you say seems odd in some ways. For example, I could get a $10 membership that would include PS and LR, as well as Portfolio and an insufficient amount of storage for any serious purposes. But, I'd basically be paying $10 just for Portfolio and the insufficient storage. I wonder why Adobe doesn't put "Launch" or "Install" on all the CC apps I might be tempted to get. The way they did things makes it look like I have "rights" to non-trial versions of Portfolio and Bridge CC (2017).

Oh well. Thanks.

PS, I clicked on "Launch," and it sure doesn't look like I'm being given a trial version of Portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC desktop apps download & install on your machine the same as before.  As of this writing, the Full Creative Cloud plan consists of  22 apps + Portfolio/Behance + 20 GB of Cloud Storage + Mobile Apps for iOS and Androids.

A Free Membership means you have TRIAL access to all the apps & services for 7 days.   Trials are exactly the same as paid versions except they won't launch after the 7 day trial period expires unless you convert your Free Membership to a paid one.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy. That's essentially what kglad. It would nice if I didn't already have PS and LR. Then, I'd get the $10 package. As it is, I'd be paying, as far as I am concerned, $10 for Portfolio and not enough storage to do anything significant. But, I have no problem with the system overall. It really doesn't matter if I have Portfolio, etc. And, there is nothing else I want right now. The future? Who knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main difference between what you have now on perpetual & the Creative Cloud versions is that your software will never be updated.   The Creative Cloud versions are significantly newer by about 5.5 years which means they contain many more features and wider support for the latest digital cameras & computer operating systems.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, at least WRT PS. My impression is that LR will be updated. But, whatever. If I ever find that I can't do something of real significance with my perpetual versions, then I might have to switch. I've only had LR a short time. I've done some updates. I thought that CC LR and perpetual LR were on equal footing right now. ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rarely use LR  but my Creative Cloud version is LR 2015.8   Lightroom CC new features

And my Camera Raw CC is 19.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, my perpetual LR version is 6.12. I don't know how that compares to your CC version of  2015.8 or later CC versions. My perpetual Camera Raw version (the PS plug-in) is 9.1.1.461. Again, I don't know how this version compares to yours--19.1.2. Is 9.1.1.461 the same thing as 19.1.1.461. If yes, then mine would be a tad older than yours. Strangely, as I recall, I got my latest Camera Raw update through Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't need (and there's no benefit) to update cr unless you get a camera that's incompatible with your version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kglad. I am not sure what all updating CR accomplishes. Please elaborate. Doing so would help me a lot. What happens if I "get a camera that's incompatible with ... [my] version?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you wouldn't be able to install an incompatible version.  if you're never going to get a newer camera that requires a version incompatible with your lr, you need not worry about it.

Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, apparently you are saying my PS (or LR) would not be able to use RAW images from a newer camera if the program has not been updated for CR sufficiently. Right???

But, I thought one could covert from a newer version of RAW, (e.g., NEF), in a particular camera, to an older version of RAW (e.g., NEF) for perpetual PS (or LR) use (i.e., via an already installed version of Adobe Camera Raw). Is this not true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever, it looks like I am good to go for now with my Nikon D5500.

My perpetual PS Camera Raw Plug-in version is 9.1.1.461

My perpetual LR version is 6.12

The minimum values I would need, from the second link you posted, are given in the last two columns of the attachment below.

RAW.png

Do you think I will be able to update my perpetual PS and/or my perpetual LR to higher camera raw versions in the future. I am unclear on the updating Adobe is going to do, if anything, in regard to higher camera raw versions for perpetual software in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know of any cameras that would convert.  i'm not sure that even makes sense.  but you can post that question on the camera raw forum to get a more informed answer.

otherwise, you're re-asking questions that have already been answered:

no, you can't future-proof your perpetually licensed programs.

i posted the only two links in you need to see what cameras need what cr version and how far you can update your program's cr in message 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry  you were not pleased with what you viewed as repetitiousness in one of my questions. The issues are somewhat complex. And, those relatively new to some issues can become confused in quite a few ways.

Will this program be updated over time to deal with the newer RAW formats on newer cameras: Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC  ? Is it a standalone application? If I used it, then would I ever need to update perpetual PS or LR for Camera Raw again? Yes, I may be confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the dng converters are stand-alone and (afaik) is will continue to be kept up-to-date with the latest cameras and continue to be offered free by adobe.

you do not need camera raw updates to use the dng converters. the only downside to the dng converters is convenience. ie, cr integrated into your adobe programs is more convenient to use than the dng converters, The best Camera Raw Tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! All of that is what I was thinking/hoping. The converter(s), provided timely updating, would be all the future proofing that many of us perpetual users would ever need in terms of camera raw support. Thank you again for your replies/help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's some delay between new cameras appearing and the dng converters being update, but not much and i'm not sure there's any difference between cr updates and dng updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you'll need to update if you get a camera that requires a camera raw beyond your lr version and you don't want to use the dng converters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines