• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade to DW 2017 crashes and won't open

Enthusiast ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to DW CC 2017 because 2015 started crashing everytime I tried to save. But now when I try and open DW 2017 it starts updating the site cache, and then it crashes. It's crashed a half dozen times now. I rebooted, opened DW 2017, and it crashes. I can't even open it now.

Is this the final death knell in what has been a horrible POS for years now? Does anyone have recommendations for a program to maintain my websites? My sites all run on Wordpress, and the only thing I use DW for is to tweak code in CSS files and some PHP editing. Otherwise content is managed in wordpress. I've been reluctantly using DW for years now for coding, but it's always been a hopeless crashing pig, and now it won't even open. Any recommendations for a replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my machine config.

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 8.42.56 AM.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Hi,

We could not figure out much from the crash logs shared. I also used the same site and set up a testing server to put files on save and I am not able to see any crash while Updating cache dialog is on.

We would definitely need more details, can you share dump (.dmp) file while you Dw is in crash/hang state. You can create dump file by right clicking on the process from the Task Manager. Can you share a video clip demonstrating the workflow when the crash happens?

Regards,

Niharika Gupta

Adobe Dre

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are interested in getting DW up and running, there are a few Mac users here that should be able to point out other items, aside from the normal DIY troubleshooting steps:

DIY troubleshooting kit for Dreamweaver

Otherwise Brackets would probably be more useful in your workflow than a broken DW...

Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

...it's also free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're looking for a better version of Dreamweaver, Brackets is not the way to go... unless you really are a glutton for punishment. The best alternative to Dreamweaver CC 2017 is, inarguably, Dreamweaver CS6, which can be installed from the Creative Cloud desktop App. You might have to do a little digging, as Adobe seems averse to making things very obvious, but it is there under Previous Versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just mention Brackets as a free alternative to something that sounds like it's bringing more than its fair share of frustration to the OP.

If the other Cloud versions aren't working, CS6 Cloud might not be an option either, but it's simple enough to get to...

1. Open the CC Desktop App
2. Click the Apps tab
3. Scroll down to "Find Additional Apps" and click the blue link in the right of the bar
4. Select View Previous Versions from the pop up menu (bottom option). That will create a DW Install icon under the Find Additional Apps bar
5. Click the Install button and choose DWCS6 Cloud from the list.

There are currently 8 versions available in the CC Desktop App, 5 can be installed at the same time on the same machines, they just won't run at the same time (CS6 Cloud, CC, CC2014.x, CC2015.x and CC2017.x). The 3 versions of CC 2017 are overwriting updates though, you can only have 1 version installed.

When installing later versions, make sure to click the Advanced Options link in the installer dialogue so you can turn off the "Remove Previous Versions" option. That will allow all of the versions mentioned to coexist, relatively peacefully, on the machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I really appreciate your replies Jon Fritz and ALsp. I might try CS6, but it was such a horrible ride too. With each version the problems have gotten worse, and now it's not even usable at all. I'm not necessarily looking for a free solution. I'll pay for it. I just need an interface for coding, and since I pay for the Adobe Suite, I've always used it. I like being able to code locally, but when I hit save, it saves and uploads to the site and I can refresh the page in the browser to see what my changes did. I used to have a staging server, but honestly when I work on a page now, I'm not worried if it's broken for a few minutes while I make code changes.

Sync would be a bonus, but honestly sync in DW has been broken for years, and I occasionally just download a new local copy of my site occasionally when I go in and make code changes, so I'm not even dependent on that work flow now. I just need an app to code that let's me save locally and upload the modified file to the website at the same time.

Again, really appreciate the help. As for trying to resolve issues with DW and troubleshooting, this was the final nail in the coffin for me. Adobe has had years to get it's act together and it has failed miserably with DW.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can we please have the crash logs? This will help us investigate and fix your issue sooner.

For location of the log files, see Find launch log files | Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe Creative Suite 6, Adobe Creative Suite 5.5, Adob...

And is there a particular site where it is crashing- like wordpress that you mentioned? or is it happening for all your sites? can you share a video clip demonstrating the issue?

Regards,

Niharika Gupta

Adobe Dreamweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niharika

DW crashes trying to update the cache. And yes, it's a particular site, but only because when launching DW it wants to open the last site I was working on, so that site is www.bellevuefineart.com. It never gets past updating the cache file, and just crashes.

Here's the log file from the last crash. Any recommendations are welcome, including other applications I can use to do basic coding. That's what gets me here. I'm not doing anything that should crash a program. I'm trying to open a file locally in code view and then save/upload.

Here's the latest crash log: Dropbox - dreamweaver-crash-logs

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the info. Please PM your Adobe ID, location, and phone number to me by clicking my profile picture and using the Message button. We will get in touch with you for further investigation. Also send me a link to this forum post in your message, and I will share it with the team so that you don't have to repeat all the info here.

You can also contact the support team directly Contact Customer Care Provide them with a link to this post during your interaction for faster troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I never responded to this. I did fix the issue. I deleted the previous cache file and the problem went away. But I do find it poor programing that a cache file would completely and repeatedly crash DW. But alas, it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We could not figure out much from the crash logs shared. I also used the same site and set up a testing server to put files on save and I am not able to see any crash while Updating cache dialog is on.

We would definitely need more details, can you share dump (.dmp) file while you Dw is in crash/hang state. You can create dump file by right clicking on the process from the Task Manager. Can you share a video clip demonstrating the workflow when the crash happens?

Regards,

Niharika Gupta

Adobe Dreamweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just update the Dreamweaver CC 2018 recently (few hours ago) and sudden it goes blank and I cannot able to open any artwork and even i create New document and won't click and open.

I using software OS X EL Capitan.

Please fix it so I can open it.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for reporting. We are not able to reproduce at our end. could you please try clearing preferences and see if it works.

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines