• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop keeps saving my jepgs as psd files.

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open a jpeg file and do some editing it then saves it as a psd. eventhough there are no layers. I have been using Photoshop for many years so I am familiar with saving files. This has just started a couple of days ago. I use a Mac book pro Sierra. Not sure way this happening or how to fix it. I've tried "Save AS" and it wont give me the option to save as a jpeg.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

I already see the problem: Layer 0 (look at the document tab at the top)

Layer 0 means it is a floating layer and can't be saved as a jpeg, only in file formats that support floating layers. PSD, PSB, Tiff and so forth.

The answer is to flatten the image.  Layer menu > Flatten Image   Layer 0 will now be labeled Background and can then be saved as a Jpeg.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't see the jpg option then odds are you are in the wrong mode. It must be 8-bit and RGB, CMYK, or greyscale.

In later versions it is suppose to change the bit mode for you. But I don't think it will automatically change the color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mode is correct so I don't think that is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you capture your entire screen with the layers panel open and any collapsed layers, expanded so we can see them.
Also do a separate screen grab of the save as dialog box with the file types dropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no layers open just background. Can't see where I attach screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just drag a screen shot into the reply field. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As.jpegScreen.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The format option it gives in the Save As drop down are:-

Photoshop

Large Document Format

Dicom

Photoshop PDF

TIFF

But no Jpeg.!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you probably already know this, but the Format in your screen shot is for Photoshop.

If you just save this file as is, and close the file, do you see it in your Finder as a PSD? That doesn't make any sense to me either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open any Jpeg file and make no alterations it stays as a Jpeg. But if I make even one alteration it will only save as psd .

Photoshop

Large Document Format

Dicom

Photoshop PDF

TIFF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I'm at a loss. I just looked through a few support pages and forums, and I tried to replicate your issue - but nothing is jumping out at me. Like SilkRooster I was thinking your trouble was the color depth, but that experiment didn't give me the issue either. Have you tried Layer>Export As to see if JPEG is in there?

sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird. What happens when you Save for Web? (Cmd, Opt, Shift + S)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I go to "Save AS" it WILL let me save as a jpeg but I get a copy file. I dont want to do this every time I open the file as I will end up with lot of copies.

It is late here (after midnight) so I will sign off for today and look again in the morning.

Thanks so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the Save for Web. That seems to work but I would like to get the

problem sorted. Will try again tomorrow. Need some sleep.

Thanks

Maggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already see the problem: Layer 0 (look at the document tab at the top)

Layer 0 means it is a floating layer and can't be saved as a jpeg, only in file formats that support floating layers. PSD, PSB, Tiff and so forth.

The answer is to flatten the image.  Layer menu > Flatten Image   Layer 0 will now be labeled Background and can then be saved as a Jpeg.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I will try it tomorrow as I have closed my computer down

and left the office. I will get back to you in the morning.

Kind Regards

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, good. I checked that on a jpeg file that I have and flattening will work. Some edit functions do change the Background into Floating and that's where that crept in.

The Crop Tool is a likely culprit if you choose to keep the cropped pixels instead of deleting them. (Delete cropped pixels should be checked in the Options bar).

You can also flatten from the Layers Panel menu.

Gene (MBP MacOS 10.12.6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for this!  I've been trying to sort this out for a couple months and had no idea it was the "delete cropped pixels" option that was fouling me up.  I assumed it was just a new Adobe update that I didn't fully understand yet.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows if the layer is a normal layer, photoshop will convert the layer to a flattened layer when saving as a jpg. I think he will need to reset his preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In File > Save, I do get a Jpeg option, but it's like Save As and will make a jpeg copy. He should at least have that. The screenshot is from a Mac.

The Crop Tool has "Delete pixels" unchecked, and any Crop work will make the Background a Layer 0.

I tend to agree with you on a Preferences reset, especially if it started happening for no reason at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou gener7. You got it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right I am now up and about.

The cause as some have suggested is Yes the "Crop Tool" making a Crop Preview which I hadn't noticed. As soon as you crop an image the Layer window changes to a singal "Crop Preview Layer" not the Background. As long as I "Flatten" the image I can then save as a Jepg. This seems to be something new as have only being having the problem for a few days. It is a bit annoying as I will have to remember to do this every time I crop. (getting old, memory doesn't like change) .

And thanks to gener 7 I have now checked the Delete cropped Pixels. Problem Solved!!! I must have unchecked it by mistake.

Thank you everyone for your help. You suggestion have been a real help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate this feature! I assume they have done it on the newest version on purpose and I hate it. Come on, Adobe, fix this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem...and it was the damn crop tool!
Thanks for the post and the wise answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines