• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error installing extension into Photoshop CC 2017

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent considerable time on the phone wit an Adobe technical support person to no avail!

I wanted a simple answer to a question regarding an error message in Photoshop 2017.

It is an error generated by Photoshop that goes nowhere.

Here is the error:

http://www.adobe.com/go/photoshop-troubleshoot-extension en

I wanted to know the correct link.

The amount of second-guessing by the technician was too stupid to write and I still don't have an answer.

Does anyone know the correct link?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Yes, the error is generated by the Extension. However, the link is generated by Photoshop.

Meanwhile, I resolved the issue.

I believe that the DVD that was sent to the customer was defective.

I sent the customer a "CLEAN" version using Adobe Send and Track and was successful in completing the install.

Thanks for all you effort on this.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to have the error message you are receiving?

The following link has the Photoshop plug-in troubleshooting steps

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link that does not work is in the original message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link that does not work is in the original message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but what are you doing in photoshop to get that message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing a 3rd party .jsx program.

The creator of this program has installed over 1000 of them without a mishap until this one. I installed it on my machine without mishap.

I am trying to figure out why one of our customers can't get it installed.

I handle level 2 troubleshooting for this company and one other.

At this time, all I wanted to know was why the latest version of Photoshop was delivering a link that does not exist and where is the appropriate link.

This is not a plug--in. It is an extension.

I was hoping that the correct link would lead me to a possible solution.

Please, if you know of an appropriate link, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be that extensions are now called "add-ons".

See if this helps:Adobe Exchange

If not, report back.

I use Anastasiy's Extension Manager for Adobe platform to install and remove older or unrecognized extensions.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 4.23.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your response and wish it was the answer. Problem is that the error message is being generated by a current version of Photoshop and Adobe couldn't tell me why?

The second issue is that the extension is installed and working on many machines. Many of them are identical to the machine with the problem.

Before I go any further, I am going to try sending the customer a "Clean" version of the installer/program instead of the disk he is using.

Since the disk was pretested, it is not likely to be the issue.

That still does not explain why a company like Adobe, as big as they are, can't tell me why their current product is generating a link that does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll see if I can get a Staff member to look at your issue.

In the meantime, try support again, you may get someone that understands it.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

I hope you can help.

I rarely need any help solving install and use problems. This is one that just doesn't make sense.

In this case, having a link that does not work makes it doubly difficult.

It is very time consuming when you call for help and your 6 year old grand daughter knows more than the person you are talking to at Adobe support.

This person couldn't get it through his head that the error and the bad link was being generated by Photoshop.

That is just plain incompetent!

I don't have a problem with Off Shore technical support. I regularly use a tech guy in India to convert Actions into Scripts. He does a great job and knows what he is doing.

That's the type of person I expect Adobe to employ not like the guy with whom I just had the conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also might consider posting your concern in the Photoshop Family Customer Community

They have people that are more directly involved with Photoshop. They may have better ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just tried that.

Even though I was signed in to the site, when I tried to post, it came up asking me to sign in to post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know why, so here is another lead: Photoshop Scripting

I guess you have had a long discussion with the jsx maker. All I can think is the problem is a setting on those few computers you both do not know about.

Here are the Photoshop settings for extensions. Mine may not be the same as yours, but you can see if those few customers match up

to what you have. Then there are unknowns like firewall and permission settings that can trip things up.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 2.24.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

Yes, the customers settings are the same as yours.

BTW, thanks so much for your attention to this.

Too bad Adobe tech doesn't take such an interest in a customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troubleshooting extensions is not my forte, but I'll give it one more try.

The problem is that it's a third party extension and Adobe is not privy to the developer's code and testing. The error message while appearing to be generated from Photoshop, may be an error message generated by the extension.

What leads me to say this is Adobe is very specific about their error messages and they supply a number you can look up. Scripts generate their own error messages and I wonder if the developer gave out a old link.

To test out my theory, open the .jsx in Extendscript CC

It should lay out the code including the error text.

There is also a forum for extensions I just found. If you submit a question and ask your customer to send a screengrab of the error, they may be able to help you find

the correct link.

Adobe Exchange Panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the error is generated by the Extension. However, the link is generated by Photoshop.

Meanwhile, I resolved the issue.

I believe that the DVD that was sent to the customer was defective.

I sent the customer a "CLEAN" version using Adobe Send and Track and was successful in completing the install.

Thanks for all you effort on this.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reporting back. I would not have easily guessed a defective DVD although they are prone to errors if the surface is smudged.

It's why archived downloads are better.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What menu entry in photoshop are you pressing to get the error link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines