• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 13, Google Maps Not Displaying in Places View

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used to work fine, but not now.  Places display but no map behind them.  Reinstalled software did not solve the problem.  I'm running the 64 bit version on a laptop with 16GB ram, don't suspect that is the problem.  Any ideas out there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 103 Replies 103
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for raising this issue.

We are looking into this problem and will soon get back to you with an update.

Thanks,

Anwesha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, I am running Windows 10 Home build 1703.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similar problem.  When I try to insert a new location, the map screen comes up, but there is no map showing and no previously pinned images showing on the grey screen.  There is a v v small postage stamp-sized part of the map in the top left hand corner, but this seems to be a section of the map and is not expandable.  There seems to be no other way to add a location.  Can this be rectified without a complete re-install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. I'm running a desktop-pc with win 10 home - 1703.

However, when I installed PS on my pc some months ago everything worked well. The map was displayed in the organizer. But now the map isn't displayed any more.

Internetconnection works well and google maps is well displayed in the browser.

Seems to me, that the ps14 app has lost its link to google maps. Result of any update????

Would be happy about help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem using PE 13 on Windows 10 Pro on an Intel Laptop

System info from the program is shown below

Note it says Windows 8 which it is not

Regards

Elements Organizer 13.0.0.0

Core Version: 13.1 (20150130.m.66724)

Language Version: 13.1 (20150130.m.66724)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: Derek catalog_1606

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\Derek catalog_1606\

Catalog Size: 115.8MB

Catalog Cache Size: 969.5MB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 8

Operating System Version: 6.3

System Architecture:

Built-in Memory: 7.9GB

Free Memory: 3.9GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:

Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0

Apple QuickTime Version: Not installed

Adobe Reader Version: Not installed

Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anwesha

Can we be told a little more detail on this issue?

Clearly it affects many users of both PE13 and PE14.

Is this a fault?

Is Adobe actively working on a resolution?

If so, when can we expect to see this functionality restored?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

Please provide an update.  Surely you have enough people reporting the same glitch to let us know what is going on.  Even if you gave us an easy way to step back to PSE14 from 14.1  (or PSE13 for those on 13) without any loss of data or functionality, but silence does Adobe no credit at all.  Please comment.

Grateful; best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

We are aware of this issue and are working on possible solutions . For more details, please see Map does not load in Elements Organizer 11, 12, 13, and 14

Thanks,

Anwesha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

Many thanks, but please, please hurry - the number of untagged images continues to grow and my mind grows dimmer.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Miss Anwesha,

Therefore the hypothesis about a bad communication between PSE and Google Earth/Maps core is confirmed. Google earth is now available by web browser (mainly). Only the Pro version of Google Earth software is currently available (standard version seems to be no longer supported by Google). Thanks to Adobe to provide an update soon that fixes the data exchanges with Google Earth new core.

https://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/kb/maps-not-loadi…

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PSE since version 2. Perfect for organizing photos according to When, Where, Who, Why using simple tags that could be created easily and attached to photos. At some point in time Adobe decided to go fancy with the Where and implemented a mapping interface as well as preventing the creation of simple tags for that feature.

They implemented that using a behind the scene link to Google Map. Now this link is not working because Google has modified its software.

I think, if Adobe decided to make one of their top feature dependent on a third-party software, then Adobe should fix the problem. We, users of PSE, should not have to update to PSE 15 to get that problem solved. The fact that the fix is available in PSE 15, close to the September-O@ctober release date, indicates that the fix is probably simple to implement.

Furthermore, PSE 14 is the official latest release and should be fixed by Adobe. This would show some respect to existing and future clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree.

If there is no fix published, this would mean that Adobe consider that customers have to buy a new release each time Google change the Earth database core. Any commercial supply without support (software included) is a non-reliable supply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more.

In particular, if PE15 is free of this bug then this implies Adobe has the knowledge and ability to fix it.

In that case, why is this taking so long to fix? The original fault report was raised 3 weeks ago.

If Adobe want to show us respect then they should

1 - Tell us that they are committed to finding a fix.

2 - Tell us when we can expect to receive a fix.

3 - If they are unable to do that then offer us an upgrade to PE15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully agree; if Adobe is not able/not willing(?) to fix the bug in released versions, a free upgrade to PSE15 should be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also fully agree.

If Adobe is not willing to fix this problem in version 14, they should provide a free upgrade to 15.

Adding geolocations by dropping the pictures on the map was one of the most important reasons for me to buy Photoshop Elements, if not the most important...

It's starting to get very annoying...even already thinking of alternatives.

Paying for version 15 again can't be the solution, if Adobe is so unwilling to fix problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

armind78889159  wrote

I also fully agree.

If Adobe is not willing to fix this problem in version 14, they should provide a free upgrade to 15.

Adding geolocations by dropping the pictures on the map was one of the most important reasons for me to buy Photoshop Elements, if not the most important...

It's starting to get very annoying...even already thinking of alternatives.

Paying for version 15 again can't be the solution, if Adobe is so unwilling to fix problems.

Just install the PSE15 current trial version.

(That will work for 30 days for the editor as well).

And for the organizer (the part hit by the change from Google) what will happen next?

In the past, the organizer continued to be fully used after the 30 days trial.

If you can no longer use the editor, you can still use an external editor from the organizer.

That external editor can be the older Elements editor version (create a copy of the PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe in the same directory).

I am not absolutely sure that the organizer can be used forever after the 30 days period, time will tell. Anyway that could be one of the free solutions offered by Adobe if that is not already the case.

For those wanting an immediate solution, that will work for 30 days. Possibly enough to know more about a possible PSE16 or for Google or Adobe to find a definitive solution. It's up to you all to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis - thank you for a suggestion that will work, if, possibly, only temporarily.

What I find unacceptable is the almost complete silence from Adobe on this issue.

In all of this chain there are only 2 messages from Adobe, neither of which tell us what Adobe intends to do about this.

Even worse, if you follow the link given in the second message we are told

"The error in the Places view is a result of Google Maps changing how map data is delivered to applications such as Photoshop Elements. This issue has been reported to Google.".

which implies Adobe itself is doing nothing, rather it is waiting for Google to provide a fix.

But

1. If that is the case why does the PSE15 Organiser work and other versions do not?

2. If the PSE15 Organiser is compatible with the Editor on some earlier versions why does not Adobe upgrade the Organiser on those versions to the PSE15 Organiser?

3. We bought this functionality from Adobe, not Google. It is Adobe's responsibility to provide us with the advertised functionality, not Google's.

4. This is not just about the price of PSE it is also about the time that users have invested in placing their photographs on the map.

We deserve better. If the problem does reside in Google's code then Adobe should be telling us more. Have Google accepted this as a fault? Are Google actively working on a fix? If Google are blameless, then Adobe should take ownership of the issue and again tell us what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Do you really think your posts are useful to other users?

I'll refrain to comment on your lame and pathetic arguments, but please, don't distort what I have said.

thank you for a suggestion that will work, if, possibly, only temporarily.

You are free to think that, but don't try to imply that it's what I have said.

I am sure the organizer of a trial version was still available afterwards in the past, but since I can't check it for PSE15 before 28 days, I stay prudent and admit that there is a slight chance that it would no longer work.

So, my solution works now for everybody for at least 30 days, and most probably forever... Note that it lets you take advantage of the big advantages of the PSE15 organizer over that of PSE14 and previous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michael's posts are certainly useful to other users. And it is the lack of offcial response from Adobe that I find lame and pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel

I hope my posts are useful. I am not offering a fix, but I am adding my voice to those that are calling on Adobe to be a little more proactive. Hopefully, if enough of us do so then this may prompt Adobe to action.

Please do comment on what you consider to be the flaws in my arguments, that will at least give me the opportunity to respond.

Lastly, can you explain what the fundamental difference is between " .... a suggestion that will work, if, possibly, only temporarily." and " ... there is a slight chance that it would no longer work."?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

I don't doubt you are trying to be useful.

In particular, if PE15 is free of this bug then this implies Adobe has the knowledge and ability to fix it.

In that case, why is this taking so long to fix? The original fault report was raised 3 weeks ago.

The ability to fix the problem is to use the PSE15 organizer.

Even though Adobe does not offer any guarantee and support for older versions, you have noted yourself that at least in one of their posts, they are studying various options even if they have no obligations to do it. That's what is 'proactive' in marketing language. You choose to ignore those posts and imply that they are only waiting for a solution by Google.

Thinking such a legal and technical issue can be solved in three weeks is... not serious.

My guess is that you'll have to wait for a definitive solution until things are clear for both Google and Adobe. Don't think your posts will have any weight.

- Elements is not a major business item for Adobe. The organizer even less so, and the map feature is used by a minority of older versions.

- You have perfectly understood that the solution will not be to issue new updates for each of the older versions. So, even if we can't put aside a technical miracle, we are waiting either for a fix from Google or a commercial action from Adobe. It's really very optimistic to think you'll get a free upgrade to PSE15; will they offer an upgrade to all users of previous versions, the upgrade meaning also offering the editor for free? On which criteria? By the way PSE15 only works with 64-bits OS. So, even a commercial offer has  technical constraints if you want to only solve the organizer problem.

Lastly, can you explain what the fundamental difference is between " .... a suggestion that will work, if, possibly, only temporarily." and " ... there is a slight chance that it would no longer work."?

For me, it's exactly the contrary, but I may have been fooled by the punctuation. I apologize if it was not what you meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it seems that I initiated a long discussion here.

To ask for a free upgrade to version 15 is indeed a bit too much.

But, I think that was only the reaction on the post, where Adobe stated that they were asking Google to fix the problem.

Well, Google may decide to change the public interface of Google Maps as they want to.

As long as Adobe didn't pay Google for the maps service, it is Adobe who has to adapt to changes of the Google API.

BTW: I somehow remember that Google announced some changes to the Maps API, obviously the ones we now suffer from, some months ago. So, it is not out-of-blue sky for Adobe that the maps part of Photoshop Elements doesn't work.

To even not provide support for the previous release of a software is what is disappointing here.

Let's compare with Apple: Even Apple supports the last two previous MacOS releases with security updates.

And I wouldn't say that Apple is here at the forefront...

So, Adobe, please provide an official statement on which releases of Photoshop Elements are supported by updates!

Then we know if version 14 will get an update and we can keep calm and wait for the update.

At least I would definitely prefer to get a fix for my version 14, which I correctly bought.

Everything else is only a work-around...

//armin

P.S.: I would like to say "Thank you!" for the hint to get the trial version of 15. I will give it a try.

Nevertheless, if the Organizer 15 indeed doesn't stop working after the trial period, it will leave a somehow "illegal" feeling behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel

Last things first. I am guessing that English, good as yours is, is not your first language. If so that may account for your misunderstanding of what I said. I was grateful for your suggestion and wanted to be complimentary whilst acknowledging the possible limitation of the fix. So, thank you for your apology, which of course I accept.

However, much as I dislike these internet ding dongs you did describe my views as "lame and pathetic" and so I feel obliged to respond.

You say "Adobe does not offer any guarantee and support for older versions.". I now believe that may be true. I have searched for a definitive statement from Adobe as to what support they offer for previous versions and can find none. Also, this perfectly explains why placement in PSE15 works and does not in earlier versions. If this is true then it is very disappointing.

As to the posts Adobe has made. The first, which gave us all a little hope, was made on 15/8, the second, made on 23/8 which pointed us to another page, last updated on 8/9 which states "The error in the Places view is a result of Google Maps changing how map data is delivered to applications such as Photoshop Elements. This issue has been reported to Google.".  So yes, I am ignoring the early post. The implication is that Adobe have looked in to this and regard it as Google's problem.

As to the legal implications of this. I agree with armind78889159. If Adobe is taking the standard feed from Google then Google can and does change it as it pleases. It gives notice of the change and it is up to users of the feed to adapt to the change. I would be amazed if Google's T&Cs do not make this clear. If Adobe and Google have an arrangement unique to them then I am sure that will be covered by a contract. In short, it should be an easy matter for Adobe and Google to determine who is responsible for what here.

You say that my posts will not have any weight. Again, I have become to believe that maybe that is true. I have browsed through some threads on this site and see that you have made several contributions Michel (so I bow to your greater experience) and that also Adobe's responses are few and far between. One small ray of hope, I saw that one Adobe technician did offer to remotely log on to a customers PC to fix an issue in PSE12, after PSE13 had been released.

You say "Elements is not a major business item for Adobe." I don't care. Adobe do not have to sell it. As they do they should treat the customers that have bought it with a little more respect than they show here.

You say "It's really very optimistic to think you'll get a free upgrade to PSE15". I agree, but then I have not asked for one. Rather I have said that Adobe should make us an offer.

One last thought. Again I agree with armind78889159 in that I would not feel comfortable in using a trial version that has failed to expire. Of a bigger concern is that the PSE15 Organiser may update and change the catalog, which, if the trial version does expire, could cause problems in reverting back to PSE14. On the whole I shall be waiting and hoping for something definitive from Adobe. If nothing appears then I will be researching and evaluating my options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

I'm running Photoshop 12 and am, of course, experiencing the same Places problem as others.  So I took your advice and installed Photoshop 15 for a free 30 day trial.

A couple of points that may help other users if they decide to go this route:

1. When Photoshop 15 first opens (after downloading and installing) you are asked if you want to convert your catalog.  You should answer "Yes".  This creates a new vesion of the catalog.  Your old version of Photoshop will still point to the original, unconverted catalog.  I made the mistake of saying "No" and had to go through additional steps to get Photoshop 15 working as desired.  Once it was working, Places also works as expected.
  2. There is no free trial message when you open the Photoshop 15 Organizer, that only hapens when you open the Photoshop 15 Editor for the first time.  I cancelled out of the Photoshop 15 Editor without invoking the 30 day trial.  I then created a copy of the Photoshop 12 Editor in the same folder as the original Photoshop 12 Editor and set up a "Supplementary Editing Application" in the "Photoshop 15 Preferences - Editing".  Here is the path I browsed to to use my copy of the Photoshop 12 editor - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 12\PhotoshopElementsEditor12.exe" (of course this is a Windows 10 folder).  It is necessary to make a copy with a new name otherwise Photoshop detects a conflict between editors.  Also leave the copy in the same folder as the original.  If you move it to the same folder as the Photoshop 15 editor it will not work, this may be because of 64-bit compatability issues.
  3. I don't know what will happen after 30 days.  For this reason I won't be doing any changes in Photoshop 12 or 15 for this time period.  Because they are using two different catalogs any changes done in the one will not be available to the other.  If I were to start using Photoshop 15 and it stopped working after 30 days I don't think I would have the ability to down-convert the catalog to my Photoshop 12 version.  I'd be forced to purchase the Photoshop 15 verison (or lose any changes I'd made) which is what I'm trying to avoid since, until recently, Photoshop 12 was working fine.

Preferences.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Michel,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines