• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BRANCHED: How can I generate my own InDesign ePub file without the encryption.xml file?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have IndeSign CC and I don't see that option any more under CSS to embed fonts or not during export. What now??

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Reflowable Text ePub dialogue box it's under the CSS tab.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 13.09.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

Ah - but you see I'm exporting a fixed layout e-Pub. Not nearly as many options available!

Looks like I'm screwed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind that the Typekit fonts are licensed for use on ePubs, note that to use fonts from other foundries you may have to buy a separate license to use them for an ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so if I replace my fonts with typekit versions, I assume they won't get embedded with the final e-Pub - right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not hijack or re-open old discussions. I've branched your question to a new discussion.

You'll need to provide full details on what you want to do. You have to embed fonts in a fixed layout epub. Why would you not want to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, am I at the right place now?

Thanks for the few replies I've had so far.

I've worked for months on a comic story destined for e-Pub, using free or licensed fonts, only to learn that Apple iBooks rejects e-Pubs with encryption - no thanks to the way ID handles the export of fonts.

SO I'm practically buggered - will have to redo each and every speech bubble hopefully with a font from Typekit that comes close to Komika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, embedded fonts are going to be encrypted. EPUBs should use opentype fonts only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. It is the OTF extension - right? I did not know that Opentype is that different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some TTF fonts are also OpenType.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh - really? How then can one determine whether a font is opentype or not. My main font being used in Komika Text. I've looked at its properties but cannot find any indication.

Thanks Bob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest way is to look at the font in InDesign. In the screengrab below you'll see that Calibi, even though it has a TTF extension, it shows as an OpenType font:

opentype.png

And, AFAIK, anything on Typekit is OpenType.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines