• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4k RAW Video editing/effects work station.

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I recently moved up the a Canon c200 with 4k raw files. I need a PC I can use and edit high quality 4k files in real time along with doing heavy effects via after effects and possibly blender and other 3d programs. I do not need real time editing at full res with heavy effects as long as I can do it at 1/4 res but I would like full res playback at lease on basic color corrected 4k footage. I have 2 system builds one INTEL and on AMD and am not sure which to go with. The AMD is more expensive by 300 but from what I have been reading may be worth it.

8-CORE INTEL BUILD

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/peter917/saved/bs6D8d

16-CORE THREADRIPPER BUILD

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/peter917/saved/sHVWXL

Help ASAP would be much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Hardware Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are completely missing a discrete GPU with the Threadripper build. AMD's higher-end CPUs such as the Ryzen and Threadripper do not have integrated video at all, nor do motherboards for either series of CPUs that have onboard video/graphics exist. These particular AMD platforms require a discrete GPU to even work at all. Otherwise, without one, you have a completely non-functional build.

On the other hand, if you're going to use Premiere Pro regularly (in addition to After Effects), I strongly recommend swapping out the AMD Radeon GPU for an Nvidia GeForce GTX card for the Intel build: At present, Premiere's CUDA acceleration still outperforms its OpenCL counterpart by a fairly significant margin. (Unless your R9 390X card is a carryover from an earlier build; in this case, an upgrade to a mid-range GeForce card might cost you more money than the performance improvement justifies.)

And with both of those platforms, you really need four sticks of RAM in quad-channel mode for best performance (the Threadripper and the Intel HEDT platform both support quad-channel memory). As configured, you have only two sticks of RAM, and you cannot run quad-channel with only two sticks. Only dual-channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, Forgot to include I would the 390 radeon gpu in both builds as I already have one from my previous. I do plan to upgrade to a 1080ti down the road. I just really want to know if the threadripper is worth the extra cash or not? Also I plan to get 2 more 16gb sticks for 64gb of ram total so I will be using quad channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines