• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I didn't save a Photoshop document as a jpeg or psd or png (no add on at the end) now I can't open it

Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved a a Photoshop document thinking that it was a psd document when I saved it. Now I cant open it and there is no file type name at the end of the document name.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a problem. Rename the file by appending .psd, jpg, or .png and see which will open

If you own a Mac, open in Preview, File > Save and it should add the proper extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im right clicking on the file but there is no rename tab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/dos+tacos  wrote

im right clicking on the file but there is no rename tab

Click once inside the title. When it turns light blue, you can edit the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why but it won't allow me I rename documents all the time and now it won't let me rename this document. I think what happened was when I renamed this from untitled1 i forgot to add an extension now I can't do anything with the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if that file is open in any program..if yes than close that program..also can you share that file here in the forum or send a Private message.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh this worked, for some reason cs2 was also open as a background app and it was trying to open it in cs2 and cs6 well I got it fixed now.

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/dos+tacos  wrote

I don't know why but it won't allow me I rename documents all the time and now it won't let me rename this document. I think what happened was when I renamed this from untitled1 i forgot to add an extension now I can't do anything with the file

Ok, let vishuagg19 look at it.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean you don't know how to rename files? If not, what is your system? It's different on Mac and Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check the current file format by right click on the file > > properties in windows or Get Info in MAC...Also you can try opening the file using Open with > Adobe Photoshop

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have same problem with psd file saved on 4.10.19. file extension says PSD. I tried changing etn, tried other programs. System seemed to think file saved as winzip as this was option computer came up with as other programme to open with. My winzip trial expired years ago. I downloaded another trial version and file wont open or unzip, it just wants to resave folder/psd file as another  zip copy. Really unhappy  as fie was a house floor plan  I spent hours on and had changed significantly and it previously saved fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only one psd file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21mb after zip hd its way with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just misread tis post. realised poster failed to save with file type to strt with so my issue is different to hers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
my file shows the psd extension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines