• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot stop PDF's opening in Internet Explorer (IE)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope anyone can help.

So far I have tried:

Checking file associations of PDF with Acrobat
Disabling all Extensions from browser (IE)
Within Adobe Acrobat and according to suggestions making sure that pdf files open only with Acrobat

Kinda stuck now.

Any suggestions as the adobe support just told me to come here as they couldnt help.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

This may not work for everyone, but I right-clicked on the file in the directory, then properties.  Under the general tab, click opens with - you should be able to change it there - Hopefully!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Mrfsa,

As per the description above, you want to disable the feature of opening PDF files in Internet Explorer (IE), Is that correct?

Please try the troubleshooting steps from the following link: How to disable Display PDF in Browser in Adobe Reader XI?  Link: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1086608

You need to uncheck the "Display PDF documents in web browser" Navigate to View>Accessbility>Setup Assistant> and on the 5th window,  you will get the option.

You may also refer to the following KB docs for troubleshooting steps:  Display PDF in browser Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader  Link: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/display-pdf-in-browser.html

Hope this helps, and keep us posted with the results.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that information,

Would this be the same for Acrobat DC?

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mrfsa,

Yes, It is same for Acrobat DC as well.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

Thank you for that information, but it hasn't worked.

In DC the settings are in a different place, and even though that has been disabled as I mentioned it still opens into the browser.

Regarding removing it from the IE extensions, I have disabled all Adobe plugins.

What else can we do?

Atik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Atik,

Please disable the Adobe PDF Reader plugin , you need to locate it under the Add-on types and the sub-categories available i.e. navigate  to  Internet Explorer's Manage Add-on window and under Show> you need to select all the options one by one and have to locate the Adobe PDF Reader plugin and disable it.

As I found the Adobe PDF reader add-on under Run Without permission section on my Windows machine.

If the issue still persists, then please share the following details:

• Is it your personal computer or office computer i.e. is it on a Domain?

As if the machine is on a Domain, then there is a possibility  that the add-on gets enabled automatically due to Group policy of Domain.

And if this is the situation, then you might have to contact your IT team.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This may not work for everyone, but I right-clicked on the file in the directory, then properties.  Under the general tab, click opens with - you should be able to change it there - Hopefully!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines