• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Gap Space for Cross Shape Tiles

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC I need create a wall of interlocking Cross Shaped tiles and fill the gaps with "grout".

How do create same gap space for Interlocking Cross Shape Tiles?

The gap needs to be credit card width.

Using only the move/nudge tool to create the gap is almost impossible.

Align does not work due to the interlocking nature of the pattern.

I have searched extensively in the forum and have seen Illustrator suggested but I have no experience with that.

Thanks in advance.

Rocco

FloorSample_spacerrequest.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's begin with the obvious: Your attempts at using move and align could never work out because your edges are antialiased. To produce a clean pattern, you would have to begin by constructing your crosses with clean, sharp edges. The rest doesn't really matter - any method will do thereafter. You are really failing at the first step already.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The image that I sent is a jpg of the PSD layers I am working with. It was to hopefully show what it is I am attempting to do.

I am still trying to learn how to create the grouting gap for each neighboring arm of the cross to be identical.

Thanks for the feedback. Rocco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I

covrc  wrote

I have searched extensively in the forum and have seen Illustrator suggested but I have no experience with that.

Illustrator would be a far easier way to achieve this. 

It's as if you need to fasten two boards together with screws, and have decided to use a hammer for the job because you have no experience with screwdrivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That;s as clear an answer as one can get SJR. Thanks for the reply.  Rocco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by that?

I am not sure I understand your intention – should the crosses’ »arms« become thinner in relation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello CP and thanks for the reply.

The arms should all remain the same size as they are. I am still trying to learn how to create the 'grouting gap' for each neighboring arm of the cross to be identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not clarified what you mean by »credit card width«.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That made me laugh. According to wikipedia ( ISO/IEC 7810 - Wikipedia )  - a standard credit card is 1/32 in thick = 0.76mm. Still meaningless without a scale to work to though

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

1. Use the rectangular shape tool to make the  squares

2. Set the fill to black or white (or use a pattern to fill)

3. You then need to make a transparent stroke inside the edge. Solid stroke does not work as by its nature it is not transparent.

So set the stroke to gradient and in the gradient set both ends to 0% opacity - this will give you a transparent stroke

4. Then just lay out your shapes by duplicating and moving the squares - they will align to each other with smart guides

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines