• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere keeps crashing because 32GB of RAM is too little?

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Just having a bit of a strange problem here. When putting a lot of stress on my workload via many track layers and effects within Premiere, I am finding that occasionally my program crashes, along with a Windows error message with a yellow caution sign icon, that warns that Premiere is using too much RAM and must be shut down!

I am working on a Threadripper 1950x system with 32GB of quad channel RAM. In the past, when using a Ryzen 1700x with a near-identical dual channel 32GB of RAM, I would never get this issue.

I set the allocated RAM usage in the Premiere preferences to 16GB and optimize for performance. So I am curious why it is still hogging beyond that amount allocated. In my CAM hardware monitoring software, I am seeing RAM usage going up to 80% for some reason.

What could be the issue here? I don't honestly think that 64GB was necessary for complex 4K workloads. Is that changing these days? Is Threadripper RAM hungry?

Any advice or solutions to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found this problem happening again when applying Warp Stabilzer to 16 clips simultaneously.

Although now my RAM is only allocated to use 12GB in Premiere - it will shoot up to excess of 22GB usage in Windows Task Manager.

What the heck, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is threadripper 1950? Why do you allocate 12gb to editing whiles you have 32gb installed. What are the rest doing?

Change the Premiere ram to 28gb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What numeric version of Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Gehrke wrote:

What numeric version of Premiere?

THIS!

Also, is it a previous project from the old machine you're working on? My team has had ram leaks and other weird happenings working with the same project across different machines with different specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched the Corsair RAM (Hynix) for G.Skill (Samsung) and the issues stopped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That switch is an amazing solution. I never would have thought of that one.  But then I have had nothing but G-Skill for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On PCPartsPicker the majority of Threadripper builds showcased included 3200Mhz C14 G.Skill RAM kits (which are Samsung kits), so I figured best to jump on the bandwagon for the sake of stability. And stability I got- set the DOCP overclock to 3200Mhz and no issues since.

My Corsair kit was on the motherboard’s QVL, so I thought I would be fine. It was wildly unstable once given intensive workloads- even at stock speeds... Newegg wanted to deduct a $54 restocking fee from my refund through the RMA process, so i stuck them on eBay instead which saved me maybe $5 after fees (gotta stick it to the man somehow lol).

Needless to say I am never dealing with Corsair or Newegg again, and am happy my system is finally rock solid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines