• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recolor of complex artwork for screen print

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been asked to recreate existing artwork, but the original file has vanished. How can this be achieved?UG-LOGO_Primary.pngAlive and Local.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

I am unsure how to setup the file for screen print output

Make sure you talk to the printer before spending much time on this. Screen printing usually does not use halftone screens or process color, so there has to be a spot color separation for each color or transparent ink. Also depending on how the colors separate the trapping can be complex—screen printing needs a larger trap.

It wouldn't be impossible to do this with Spot Channels in Photoshop, but you really have to know the process. Screen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have access to it, I would do this in Illustrator

You can use Image trace to convert the image into vector shapes which you can then manipulate resize and recolour if required - all with nice smooth vector edges.

Section before image trace

After image trace - see smoother vector lines:

Showing paths :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have illustrator. What I do know is the original was created in Photoshop. I am unsure how to setup the file for screen print output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you be printing in CMYK, RGB or spot colours? Will there be white ink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to print spot colors. There may be a white, or it could be discharged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am unsure how to setup the file for screen print output

Make sure you talk to the printer before spending much time on this. Screen printing usually does not use halftone screens or process color, so there has to be a spot color separation for each color or transparent ink. Also depending on how the colors separate the trapping can be complex—screen printing needs a larger trap.

It wouldn't be impossible to do this with Spot Channels in Photoshop, but you really have to know the process. Screen printing is very different than offset, the inks are usually very opaque and you don't necessarily need vector art because the screen fabrics (not halftone screens) are so coarse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case it really has to be redone in Illustrator, not only to get the colours separate, but also to make sure it is all vector. I've never worked with screen printing, hopefully someone can outline either the things that must always be done, or the technical questions you need to answer before starting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines