• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to EPUB files..Fonts won't embed

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've watched a bunch of tutorials and read a bunch of articles about creating epubs and exporting them, etc, but it seems like none of them are new enough to be using CC 2017. I'm driving myself crazy here trying to figure out why my file keeps coming out with either blank space where my text is or a heading is still there but in a generic font and the kerning is messed up. I'm using all fonts from the Adobe TypeKit but none are working. They all say "Fonts Not Allowed" in the Preflight window. I don't see an "embed fonts" options in the export settings like the tutorial on Lynda shows, and I'm not sure what else to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of EPUB are you exporting to? Fixed layout? Reflowable?

Where are you seeing "Fonts Not Allowed?"

What EPUB reader are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPUB 3.0, and it's fixed layout. (Reflowable gives the 2.0.1 option but I have to keep my layout, can't use reflowable for what I'm doing)

"Fonts Not Allowed" is showing in the Preflight panel when "Digital Publishing" is selected.

First it was just opening in Microsoft Edge, now I have Digital Editions and Readium, opens the same in all three.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget the preflight panel. Typekit fonts are all embeddable.

Best test for fixed layout epub is iBooks on either Mac or an iPad. The others? Not so great as of late. Edge is getting better but it's crap for fixed layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac or an iPad, any other options that are good?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, Readium, which was the best of the bunch is now horrible. I’m not sure what happened there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok, well thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob,

Quick question related to fonts while exporting on Epub/fixed layout:

Do you know how to do for non-typekit fonts to show on the EPUB document please? (for instance I have some Authenia sentences in my indesign doc and when exporting on Epub they are automatically replaced by another font in way too big and can't be read).

At least, I'd like to choose while exporting how to replace the fonts which won't be appearing on the EPUB doc.

Could you help me please?

Thanks in advance,
Emilie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must use Opentype fonts. They do not have to be from Typekit but all Typekit desktop fonts allow embedding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Typekit fonts are licensed for ePub use, for most non-Typkit fonts you have to buy a special licence from the foundry for using in an ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For ePUB projects I always try to use Open Source Fonts, like from Google Fonts

Is there many other sites to download Open Source Fonts. These fonts dont have licence

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you very much to both of you, it's very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines