• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't align straight lines in Photoshop CC 2017?

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing something, or is it just not possible? I was working on a perspective drawing and simply just wanted to align a simple 2 point straight path line in the center of the canvas, but every time I click any alignment option, nothing happens. I wasn't sure if I was using the alignment tool right, but I made a slightly skewed line, and the alignment tool works perfectly for that. Not sure what is different about aligning a straight line as opposed to a not straight line, wanted to check to see if I had to do anything differently. I have align to canvas checked.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

To follow on from my last post

You may wish to check out today's update to Photoshop CC (version 19.0). It is fixed . How's that for service from Adobe

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried simply dragging it to the centre until the smart guides show up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart guides were not popping up, but I realized I had to press cmd+u to turn the smart guides on. So is there no way to use the alignment tool with straight lines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you can't use the alignment tools with work paths, because you can't use the move tool with them.  You have to use the selection tool (black arrow) and drag the path, which will trigger the Smart Guides if they are enabled.  You can do the same thing using Free Transfer on a workpath providing it is not a single straight line (it must enclose some pixels).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

No you can't use the alignment tools with work paths, because you can't use the move tool with them. 

Hi Trevor,

I think this looks more like a bug.

If I draw a straight but tilted path I can align it with the canvas using the align tool in the option bar

However if the path is perfectly horizontal - nothing happens :

I would call that a bug

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To follow on from my last post

You may wish to check out today's update to Photoshop CC (version 19.0). It is fixed . How's that for service from Adobe

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines