• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AMD Radeon Pro 580 Performance with Adobe?

Participant ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm researching to upgrade an edit system. Going PC is not an option, and I am focused on finding a solid mac platform for HD and 4K editing.

While Apple is getting ready to release an iMac Pro and new Mac Pro later this year, no specs are available. The best stop gap measure I can come up with is to explore purchasing the currently available 27-inch iMac. Sadly, the GPU (Radeon Pro 580) offering is not listed here: Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

Does anyone have personal experience with this GPU and Premiere?

Or Adobe can you chime in? Has this GPU undergone any performance testing?

Thanks!

Lindsay

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to the Hardware forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very curious about this as well. Anyone have any experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, do you have plans to test this new hardware on the iMac platform? Is there a timeline for such testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe staff typically doesn't respond here with detailed info, so i wouldn't expect any help from them. the amd 500 series is based off the same tech as 400 series, which has been working ok for the most part. this youtube video compares the new imac vs older model, and shows the radeon 580 working fine. perhaps more interesting is how far behind premiere is in performance vs the other software. adobe takes a while to copy features from other NLE's and software, so eventually they might implement the same features and catch up some performance ground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working in PP CC 2017 with the new iMac running the Radeon Pro 580 and 40gb RAM and have experienced several disappointing issues. The biggest has come when using LUTs with the Lumetri Color panel while editing HD footage I transcoded to ProRes 422. During both playback and export I get random flashes of pixelation with GPU acceleration enabled. Sadly, when I contacted Adobe about the issue, I was told my only option was to edit using the "software only" option and "try" to use GPU acceleration during export and am literally doing this as I'm typing this up - so I'll try to remember to report back on the issue. Kinda sucks and I'm really disappointed in Adobe for not including the Radeon Pro 580 in their list of "approved" graphics cards as they've had plenty of time to test this and send out an update to everyone. As it stands, I upgraded to the new iMac expecting it to speed up my work flow and w/o being able to use GPU acceleration during export - the weekly TV show I produce still takes over 6 hours to export #sad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing OpenCL will never be as good at GPU Acceleration as CUDA.  Even the latest AMD/ATi Vega's are no where near as good as the current nVidia GTX 10 series of products.

Here are the PPBM test results of the two current GPU's with the new top of the line AMD Threadripper 1950X based system

"34","79","27","156", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22, Vega Frontier 16GB GPU ($999)

"34","52","13","158", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22, Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB  ($750)

The first number is the disk test result and the 4th number is the CPU intensive test.  The two middle numbers are GPU accelerated tests.  Unfortunately this is a PC-only test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I REALLY wish I would have known all of these issues prior to buying another brand new MAC! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And now, more bad news for those who are planning to run Adobe CC software on a future Mac:

Apple has announced that it would depreciate OpenGL and OpenCL support, beginning with the forthcoming OSX 10.14. Future versions of OSX after 10.14 will eventually cease support entirely of these two APIs, so unless Adobe rewrites the code in its CC software, these programs may not run at all on a future Mac as long as Adobe continues to require legacy OpenGL support to even run its software at all.

This is all part of a longer-range plan by Apple to move away from the Intel x86-64 architecture towards its own proprietary hardware architecture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines